This competition is restricted to internal candidates or applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months. Please indicate your internal status using the “Advertisement” drop down menu when applying.
This posting will be used to hire for 2 positions.
These positions will have an end date of one year from the date of hire and offer a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Supply Consultants manage the procurement process for goods and services for the entire institution (central unit within the Finance portfolio). This includes administering and managing transactions, contracts, purchase orders, competitive bids and preferred supplier agreements. Supply Consultants respond to client and supplier inquiries and manage client and supplier relationships.
As an entry level purchasing position they provide support to Senior Supply Consultants and Procurement/Contracting Specialists. They must have an understanding of purchasing policies and procedures in addition to competitive bid and contract law. Supply Consultants require an understanding of the applicable trade agreements and legislation.
They review purchasing transactions and consolidate requirements into appropriate purchasing methods (i.e. Corporate Purchasing Card, Preferred Supplier Agreements and SupplyNet.
Reviewing SupplyNet Requests:
- Purchasing requests for assigned commodity codes are reviewed in accordance with internal working procedures.
- Approves and issues Purchase Orders in SupplyNet.
- Confirms and reviews new vendor set up requests to ensure that they are not duplicated.
- Obtains and ensures emails and other information are collected in the vendor database.
- Vendor set up for contracts with individuals require HR review to determine if they are an active university employee.
- Confirms the correct currency and GST setup requirements have been established.
- Checks to confirm that purchase orders are issued in currency that matches the vendor set up.
- Provides consultation and direction for contracting for services.
- Issuing and managing processes for contracting with individuals or unincorporated businesses.
- Review documentation to ensure it supports a contractor relationship and that a Determination of a Workers Checklist is attached and signed.
- Development of contracts and agreements for purchases of goods and services in accordance with the delegated signing authority.
- Reviews and approves Change Requests from department and in accordance with internal procedures. Prepares amending agreements as needed for contracts.
- Utilizing the university contract templates and documentation; vets changes to terms and conditions internally with more senior procurement staff and/or Insurance.
- Assist departments with the processes in SupplyNet and provide direction and guidance on system use and processes.
- Reviews requests and determining a source of supply.
- Interacts with the client to obtain additional information about their purchase.
- Sources products and/or facilities a competitive bid process when required and ensures all terms and conditions are considered prior to approving a transaction.
- Provides clarification relating to competitive bids, purchase orders and invoicing.
Order and Contract Management
- Resolve issues with suppliers and departments to ensure contract requirements and performance standards are met.
- Reviews assigned Preferred Supplier Agreement transactions, statistics and invoicing to ensure contract terms are being met and in accordance with procedures.
- Cultivating strong working relationships with suppliers and clients.
- Continuous updating of information and distribution to clients.
- Manage Preferred Supplier Agreements; reviews and updates monthly reports.
- Provides assistance and support to Senior Supply Consultants and Procurement Specialists with Preferred Supplier Agreement administration and price checks.
- Reviews non-compliant invoices and issues by communicating correct procedures to clients, approving invoices in accordance with internal working procedures.
Consultation and Inquiries
- Manages supplier and departmental relationship, responds to inquiries.
- Provides information to clients and suppliers regarding purchasing methods, course of supply, policies and procedures.
- Assists in resolving clients/vendors issues.
- Assists clients with SupplyNet and PeopleSoft inquiries.
- Certificate or degree in supply chain management or related business program
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a supply management and purchasing environment
- Participation or completion of a Supply Management Designation (i.e. SCMA – Supply Chain Management Association or NIGP – National Institute of Government Purchasing) would be an asset
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of purchasing policies, procedures, tendering law and trade agreements
- Proficiency with MS Office application (MS Word and MS Excel)
COVID-19 Vaccination: Proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 in compliance with the University’s COVID-19 Vaccination Directive. Fully Vaccinated means a status an individual achieves 14 days after having received the recommended number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization, and requires the individual to maintain the recommended number and type of vaccine doses as updated and required by Health Canada thereafter.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.