Academic IT Support Specialist
SAIT is a global leader in applied education and an institution that empowers employees to make a difference in the lives of our students.
Building on more than a century of history, we are looking for innovative employees wanting to create a future with us. As part of our team, you are encouraged to be bold and inventive, bringing new ideas to the table. Change excites you.
Along with competitive benefits, gourmet on-campus restaurants run by our culinary program and an unparalleled view of downtown Calgary, SAIT offers the chance to do work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers. We develop leaders in the classroom and our workspaces, encouraging lifelong learning for both students and employees.
Your future starts now … at SAIT.
Information Technology Services
SAIT’s Information Technology Services department is hiring. This in-house IT department handles all software and hardware needs, as well as technological and networking issues for both employees and students who rely heavily on computer systems across our campuses. If problem solving and networking — of the computer kind — get you excited, we want to meet you.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Classroom Technology, the Academic Support Specialist is responsible for the planning, implementation, support, upgrade, troubleshooting and documentation of the computer and application environments at SAIT.
This role works on higher level technical problems and acts as an escalation point if the issues cannot be resolved on first contact with the helpdesk. In addition, they are responsible for effectively and efficiently escalating technical issues to other ITS groups, collaborating with other support teams, and creating and implementing efficiencies to meet service level targets.
- Manage lifecycle of classroom computer environments, inventory, systems architecture, software requirements and system configurations while ensuring documentation is captured in the ITS knowledge base.
- Troubleshoot technology issues and implement solutions through coordination with vendors and staff of all SAIT departments including; instructors, academic chairs, and management.
- Provide technical advice through identification of requirements, alternatives and present recommendations to support unique hardware and software applications in classrooms.
- Work with clients to investigate new emerging technologies that can enhance learning in the classroom. Test prototype of new hardware technology in conjunction with subject matter expert.
- Liaise with server and network teams to recommend modifications to infrastructure in classrooms to support course delivery (e.g. network port additions, appropriate VLAN configurations and port openings)
- Assist with software agreement renewals, updates with license coordinator.
- Monitor, prioritize and respond to service ticket queue escalated by the service desk.
- Respond to the technology needs and inquiries of students, staff and faculty, ensuring a professional and prompt response. Explain complex technical issues in plain language, deploy solutions, and follow-up to ensure the stability and functionality of end user computer systems.
- Manage Active Directory computer objects and OU classroom structure and recommend group policies through collaboration with the Endpoint Administrator and server team.
- Manage MEM device collections, task sequences, monitoring deployments and log files to support OSD deployments and applications to classrooms.
- Manage application catalogue for classrooms and advise the software packaging team what applications require packaging and updates including documentation of how the application is installed.
- Complete user acceptance testing for deployment of packaged applications and determine if coordination with subject matter expert is required as to the functionality after deployment.
- Work with faculty and academic chairs on technology needs in classrooms. Advise on upgrades, software and hardware to ensure compliance with SAIT licensing and system standards.
- Collaborate and mentor peers, contractors and students to facilitate cross training of information.
- Create, distribute documentation and train service desk staff on new technology deployments.
- Participate in committees to represent and promote the value that ITS can provide towards learning at SAIT.
- Minimum Post-Secondary Certificate in Information Systems or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of Windows OS deskside support troubleshooting software and hardware
- Minimum 3 years of deployment tools including SCCM
- Preference for minimum 3 years of experience installing and administrating various industry software, particularly in a post-secondary environment.
- Experience with IT Service Management ticketing systems
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills in high pressure situations
- Ability to react quickly under high levels of support requests and adjust priorities accordingly
- Demonstrated critical thinking, analytical skill with the capability of making appropriate judgement calls in a variety of technology support situations.
- Experience researching and managing projects
Why Work at SAIT
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including:
comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre,
transit subsidies and more.
Why Work at SAIT
Please continue with the online application process by clicking the Apply Now button
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
APT: This position is union exempt in our Administration, Professional and Technical group
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education.
|Job ID||req2994||Job Location||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Job Classification||APT||Job Type||Permanent Salary|
|Employee Group||PC Support Specialist||Position End Date|
|Department||Information Technology Services||# of Positions||1|
|The compensation range||0.00 – 0.00 Salary|
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and impact. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace for people empowered to make a difference in the lives of students. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. With a newly launched brand and ongoing celebrations marking 100 years of educating skilled workers, now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place…SAIT.
- Job ID: req2994
- Job Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Job Classification: PC Support Specialist
- Job Type: Permanent Salary
- Employee Group: APT
- Position End Date:
- Department: Information Technology Services
- # of Positions: 1
- Posting Closing Date: All applications must be received by: April 20, 2021 at 4:59PM MST / 5:59PM MDT.
View or Apply
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover or application letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.