Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit’s operations. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Administers unit accounts. Assists in the organization of unit activities. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems.Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit’s policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Takes notes and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos. Signs certain documents.
- Administers accounts for unit. Prepares budgets or budget proposals. Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Corrects errors and follows up on problems. Records expenses and provides account statements on request.
- Maintains supervisor’s agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
- Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Coordinates arrangements for events such as symposia and conferences. Makes travel arrangements.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Experience in research administration. Demonstrated ability to build constructive work relationships with all stakeholders, within and external to the unit. Demonstrated client-focused and service-orientation. Strong problem solving, diplomacy skills. Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet regular and on-going deadlines. Autonomous and solution-oriented. Attention to detail. Must have experience dealing with sensitive and confidential information. Demonstrated ability to clearly transmit and receive information both in writing and verbally. Knowledge of basic accounting principles. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word-processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, databases, e-mail, and internet. Knowledge Banner FIS and HRIS, POPS and Minerva. English and French, spoken and written.
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEP – Office Systems 4 Years Related Experience / DEP – Secretarial Studies
(MUNACA Level 09J) $23.17 – $31.97
Hours per Week:
20 (Part time)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] or 514-398-3711.
View or Apply
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover or application letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.