Comprehensive Care Model Background
Four teams of undergraduate students under the supervision of faculty, provide comprehensive dental care for members of the public at The School of Dentistry’s Oral Health Clinic, Kaye Edmonton Clinic. Each team is led by an experienced general practitioner, the CC Director, and includes dental and dental hygiene students, a DDS Lead, a DH Lead, an RDA and a treatment coordinator. Additional faculty (full-time, part-time, generalist and specialist) and staff (clinical and administrative) support all 4 teams.
The Comprehensive Care (CC) DDS Lead has the role of clinical instructor and student mentor for Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) students within the CC Team. The lead is responsible for promoting student focused learning and patient centered care in the DDS Program at the University of Alberta, School of Dentistry.
Term of Appointment: Part-time 0.6 FTE, Term contract for the period of late August to mid-July under the Academic Teaching Staff (ATS) Agreement. Academic rank and salary will be based on the applicant’s credentials and experience.
- Provide clinical CC supervision, instruction, evaluation & mentorship to students in all years of the DDS program
- Demonstrate procedures and provide treatment when required
- Ensure students have a positive and supportive clinical learning environment
- Ensure the core values of comprehensive care are practiced in the Oral Health Clinic
- Perform formative daily clinic grading and provide feedback to students after each clinical session
- Provide feedback to the CC Director on individual student progress as required
- Support the CC Director in monitoring case assignment and the progress of DDS students within the Team
- Assist the CC Director to provide patient management and progress reports to students as required
- Provide feedback regarding student progress to the CC Director
- Consults with Specialists when required
- Interacts with clinic support staff to ensure students are acting in a professional manner and following infection control protocols
- Ensures Electronic Health Records are managed properly and confidentiality is maintained
It is preferable that a CC DDS Lead continues practicing dentistry to maintain clinical skills.
Interested individuals are asked to submit their application package online containing a resume, a brief outline of their teaching philosophy, as well as the names and contact information of three references to the attention of the Search & Selection Committee.
Any questions about the position should be directed to Dr. A. Senior – [email protected]
*Please note, the posting will remain open until filled, however applications will be reviewed beginning March 15, 2021.
View or Apply
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover or application letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.