Position Title: Assistant Director, International Program
Location: Vancouver, BC
Reports to: International Program Director
The Justice Education Society of British Columbia (BC) is a non-profit organization with over 30 years of experience providing public legal education and justice system capacity building in Canada and overseas. In Canada, the Society helps more than 700,000 British Columbians learn about our justice system and address their legal issues. Internationally, JES has programs in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Guyana which work with national institutions to strengthen justice systems, access to justice and citizen security. JES has offices in Canada, Guatemala, Honduras and Guyana and diverse sources of funding including donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments. More information on JES is available at: www.JusticeEducation.ca.
The Assistant Director for International Program (ADIP) supports the International Program Director (IPD) in the planning, development, implementation and monitoring of JES’s international projects. The ADIP will interact with operational staff on a regular basis to provide support as needed,and assist the IPD to ensure that contractual obligations for all donor supported projects are met.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Program development and delivery
- Provide oversight of International operations and logistics.
- Liaise with JES Project Directors, Finance Department and Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to receive feedback on systems and processes and to introduce improvements to JES’ international operations.
- Manage implementation of policies, procedures and operational plans as required by SLT.
- Manage the appropriate recovery of staff time to projects.
- Lead projectimplementation startup andthe set upof new offices.
- Oversee the progress of monitoring and evaluation of all projects.
Reporting and compliance
- Be the primary resource within JES on policies and procedures governing our international operations, particularly the donor agreements and guidelines for all new and ongoing project.
- Ensure compliance with project contractual obligations.
- Ensure that all financial and narrative reports are prepared on time to meet donor requirements, including contributing to and reviewing reports before final approval by the IPD and Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Maintain and track reporting calendar for all new and ongoing projects to ensure that reports are submitted by their respective deadlines.
- Ensure that all physical and digital files are maintained in good order.
- Advise the International Program Director on recommended changes to policies and procedures in order to strengthen program reporting and donor compliance.
- SupportCEO and IPD on all other reporting and compliance activities as required.
- Be the primary resource within JES on policies and procedures governing procurement, and recommend changes as required.
- Perform internal audits to ensure policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Review and approve consultant and service contracts.
- Monitor procurement processes and advise project teams on improved compliance with policies and procedures.
- Train new staff on international procurement policies and procedures.
- Assist in the negotiation of long-term service agreements for accommodations, travel, translations and printing, among others.
- Manage a database of consultants and service providers that have been satisfactorily identified and vetted in accordance with JES’ procurement policy.
Financial and risk management
- Ensure international projects adhere to guidelines on procurement and documentation so that they are “audit ready” at all times.
- Liaise with the Finance Department to provide timely and accurate financial reporting, monitoring and budgeting.
- Advise IPD of discrepancies in project activities relative to budgets and forecasts for international operations.
- Train and support Project Directors and their teams in proper use of expense tracking software.
- Review and approve financial transactions under CAD $10,000 for the International Program.
- Help identify and implement risk management strategies that respond to current and anticipated risks in program operations.
- Liaise with JES Communications and Marketing Specialist in the development of content for reports, newsletters, presentations and social media.
- Review all communications materials for International Program to ensure accuracy of information and quality of presentation.
· Onboardstaff to the International Program, especially Project Directors, by providing training on the international program as well as relevant policies and procedures.
- Help foster a dynamic organizational culture and strong team cohesion amongst JES staff.
· In collaboration with JES’ Human Resources Specialist, ensure human resource policies and practices are understood andadhered to.
- Participate in drafting proposals and budgets for new projects.
- Research potential project opportunities for JES and maintain a database of business development leads.
- Identify and summarize sectoral news, conferences and events that JES should be aware of.
- Participate as required in meetings with potential funders, partners and stakeholders.
- Participate in ongoing environmental scan for International program.
- Participate in discussions regarding JES international programming, and determine strategies that improve JES’ project design and implementation to optimizeresources, minimize costs and ensure a positive work environment for employees.
- Support SLTby contributing to the overall strategy, administration and management of the organization.
- Participate in strategic planning and the execution of strategic initiatives as required by the IPD and CEO.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Project management experience in international development projects.
- Experience working in multicultural teams.
- Experience in preparing project proposals for funding.
- Excellentinterpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Budgeting experience and financial management skills.
- Strong Excel and database management.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally.
- Highly organized.
- Spanish language (verbal and written) is a definite asset.
Post-graduate education in a relevant discipline such as business administration, project management, international development,human rights, law or equivalent professional experience and education.
Note: This position is open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents only.
How to Apply
- To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. The search will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
We thank all candidates who apply; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Address 800 Hornby St #260, Vancouver, BC $ Month