Post Number : lCAUISO1OO1TE
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)
Duty Station: Canada
Job Family: Communication and Information
Type of contract : Temporary Appointment
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-MAY-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(This position may be home based/remote with a possibility to travel to Canada or it may be based in Montreal depending on the current circumstances related to Covid-19)
Under the supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS), the Communication Officer will lead on the dissemination of key products and institutional messages to increase the visibility of the UIS data and activities to policymakers, partners and the media.
In particular, the incumbent will:
1. Manage the ongoing business of the UIS, including overseeing and providing quality control of the work of the Communication Assistant and all communications consultants. This will include:
- Working closely with other members of the UIS, with UNESCO staff and consultants for the implementation of a Communications and Outreach Plan for the UIS for 2020 – 2021;
- Defining and implementing a short term communication strategy for the COVID-19 situation and response;
- Initiating and maintaining contacts with UNESCO HQ; ensuring coherency and complementarity with Sector communication efforts, maintaining the lead in UIS programme areas;
- Overseeing visualization products and defining policy in key identified areas, notably International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED).
2. Develop and oversee a production plan for the ED 2020 Ed Digest and develop a communications and outreach strategy for the 2020 Ed Digest due by September 2020. This should include:
• Outreach tools;
• Primary communications partners;
3. Coordinating and overseeing the following materials as needed in coordination with the Director’s Office:
• Blog posts;
• Key messages in social media.
4. Initiate the design elements for both the website and access to data and manage the related project contract, in collaboration with the Dissemination Unit and in consultation with the UIS teams.
- Advanced University degree (Master or equivalent) in communications, the social sciences or any related field.
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience in statistical publishing with at least 2 years at the international level, with a specific focus on the production and promotion of data visualization products, analytical and technical reports, and other data products related to UNESCO’s fields of competence;
- Proven results in developing a coherent communication approach to disseminating data and related products among technical and general audiences of data users;
- Proven experience in handling data requests from media.
- Competence in the use of personal networked computers is essential and required as well as in-depth competence in data publishing platforms and dissemination channels;
- Competence in designing interactive data visualization products and other products designed to engage users in statistical story-telling;
- Strong writing and oral skills for effective communication.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken) and good knowledge of French.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/unescojobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 5255 Decelles Ave 7th floor, Montreal, Quebec $ Month