DEAN OF STUDENTS OFFICE
COORDINATOR, OTSENHÁKTA STUDENT CENTRE (OSC) (P4399A)
March 15, 2021
March 26, 2021
Note: This is a one-year leave replacement position.
Reporting to the Dean of Students, the incumbent manages the Otsenhákta Student Center (OSC) as well as provides the university community with expertise and advice relating to the integration and success of Indigenous (First Nations, Métis and Inuit) students.
- Manage the operations, staff and service delivery of the Centre; assist in the development of long-term strategies for meeting the commitment of the University to serving Indigenous students and the wider Indigenous community.
- Advise and provide information to Indigenous students as well as faculty and staff concerning matters related to Indigenous students’ needs.
- Hire, train, assign work, monitor, evaluate, and motivate unit personnel.
- Liaise with band councils, government agencies, and internal and external contacts; participate in educational activities at Concordia and occasionally outside of Concordia.
- Prepare case records; compile and interpret statistical information on student demographics and use of services; prepare annual report on Centre’s activities.
- Work in close collaboration with the Office of Indigenous Directions to implement the recommended actions of the Indigenous Directions Action Plan that specifically address student concerns, including the development of funding proposals to support the improvement of services.
- Perform other duties in support of the operation of the unit.
- Bachelor’s degree and four to seven years related work experience including at least two years’ experience in managing staff.
- Must be a recognized member of the First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples of Canada (proof of identify may be required).
- Demonstrated experience working directly with Indigenous people, communities, collectives and organizations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Indigenous student experiences and issues in post-secondary education.
- Good spoken and written English (Level 4) to communicate effective with students, staff, faculty and external contacts; basic spoken French (Level 3) to respond to general inquiries. Fluency in one of the Indigenous languages spoken in Canada, preferably Québec is an asset.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to deal sensitively with individuals.
- Experienced in dealing compassionately and confidentially with individuals in sometimes difficult personal situations.
- Sensitivity to Indigenous students’ concerns and ability to foster a positive and culturally-safe environment.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure in a team environment.
- Aptitude to work in a service-oriented environment as both a member of a team and independently.
- Strong planning, organizing, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including outside of normal operating hours for special events.
$81,136 – $94,099 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by March 26, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
[How to apply
To ensure your application is considered, please follow these instructions.
1. Submit your document:
Only one (1) document can be submitted. Combine your cover letter, CV and any other documents into a single document.
Please only submit documents in Word or PDF format.
Text in the body of the email will not be included in your application.
2. Name your file:
Please name your document by Last name, First name. Do not include any other information in the file name.
3. Subject line of email:
Indicate the position number of the job you are applying to and your Employee ID number (if you are an active (current) employee only.)
Example: P5555 – Employee ID: 0555555
Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
Current Concordia staff and faculty: Apply now by following above instructions and emailing [email protected]
All other candidates: Apply now by following above instructions and emailing [email protected]]
- To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail /cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.