Careers that empowers young dreamers
When you make a decision to work with Children Believe, you’re not just doing something great for your career, you’re helping empower children around the world to access education, pursue their dreams and be a voice for change. We know there are lots of career options for talented, top performers like you, but not many offer the opportunity to help children live and dream fearlessly. We are currently recruiting for the following position:
The Country Director (CD), a member of Global Leadership Team; part of the Programs and Policy team is a senior leadership role who will provide strategic leadership to the development and management of Ethiopia CO and all programs associated with it and will be responsible for actuating the organizational strategy. The CD will supervise all sub-projects within the Program Portfolio whether direct, collaborated or aided and will provide administrative oversight to functioning of Ethiopia operations including managing people resources. The incumbent will liaise with government and various government agencies by maintaining beneficial relations with the development community (host government agencies, funders, NGOs, local, regional and international Children Believe partners).
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Application Closing Date: April 16, 2021
Qualifications & Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Project Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or relevant development field.
- Minimum 15 years work experience in the development field with at least 5 years in a senior leadership role with experience in management and execution of programs related to at least 2 of the priority issues envisaged in Children Believe’s current strategy.
- Proven ability to set strategic direction, develop and execute operational plans. Exposure to East Africa country, regional program management experience is strongly preferred.
- Significant operations experience, including experience in budget development and management; private sector experience; donor and stakeholder management experience and ability to translate strategy into measurable, achievable targets.
- Demonstrated experience in building networks with development agencies, funding agencies at national & regional level.
- Experience in engendering / practicing Results Based Management (RBM) or using Participatory Development Approach (PDA) tools. Experience in the use Logical Framework Analysis (LFA) will be an asset.
- Ability to lead a diverse team to achieve organizational objectives and steer change. Excellent decision-making ability including that in ambiguous situation and conflict management ability.
- Commitment to achieving results with a sense of urgency, needed agility with pro-activeness and self-motivation.
- Proven leadership skills, with the ability to develop, motivate, monitor, and evaluate cross-functional project team members assigned to the project to meet tight deadlines. Proven experience in group facilitation skills, capacity building, training, mentoring and coaching.
- Discretion and sound reasoning in dealing with sensitive matters; ability to independently solve complex and challenging problems;
- Strong computer skills, with familiarity in using Microsoft Office suite and other relevant applications.
- Excellent presentation, public speaking skills, skilled in networking & developing partnerships.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English; fluency in a local language
- Alignment to Children Believe’s Vision, Mission and Values
Core values & competencies:
- Respect for Diversity
- Integrity & Authenticity
- Accountability & Result Orientedness
- Creative Problem Solving & Innovation
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration & Stakeholder Engagement
Attributes, Traits, and Behaviours:
- Entrepreneurial and inspirational, with a demonstrated ability to build and sustain high-performing team in stressful context.
- Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Champion organizational decisions and model organizational values with appropriate tactfulness.
- Exhibit flexibility, adaptability and encourage learning from failures, if any.
- Manage personal health, stress and wellbeing.
- Exhibit a credible presence that commands attention and respect and installs confidence of others.
1. Strategic Leadership (20%)
- Develop and execute country strategic and operational plans, aligned with corporate strategy, vision and values with guidance from CIPO.
- Lead building the capacity of Children Believe partners through effective training tools including workshops, seminars etc.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with partners, the development community and government agencies and network, advocate, raise awareness and position Children Believe as a leading expert and credible resource on issues pertinent to child and community development.
- Champion Children Believe’s global organization-wide initiatives contributing to global education, promoting awareness of international development issues, representing Children Believe at local, regional and international fora, and positioning Children Believe as an organization of choice.
- Manage Ethiopia’s Senior Management Team, build a working culture that aligns with organizational values of integrity, collegiality; foster a working environment for in-country staff that makes Children Believe a priority destination for motivated local professionals and develop a team spirit among the staff.
- Engage with CO team to promote the development & implementation of innovative approaches to solve core humanitarian and development problems.
2. Diversify Revenue Portfolio (25%)
- Achieve Children Believe’s strategic objectives for income growth and revenue diversification by accessing nationally based funding sources, identify new funding streams, and ensure grant compliance.
- Lead the development of donor relations strategy; build and cultivate a strong network of bilateral, multilateral, corporate and foundation relationships in support of the revenue strategy.
- Promote centres of programming excellence, which can be used by Children Believe, led by the grant acquisition staff, to develop new funding relationships with new donors on a global basis.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders in Ethiopia, including government ministries, private sector companies, business associations, and civil society organizations; securing their support as needed; represent Children Believe Ethiopia at internal and external functions.
3. Ensure Achievement of 100% of All Agreed Program Results (25%)
- Direct the operations of all programs and projects to achieve agreed results.
- Provide direction and strategic support to Children Believe partners, holding them accountable for timely deliverables and conscientious use of resources.
- Actively contribute to the planning, implementation and monitoring of Children Believe supported programs/projects related to relief, commodities, child protection, development, etc.
- Ensure program/project monitoring and evaluation reports are prepared and submitted according to established procedures and promotion of best practices
- Encourage/influence program/project community leaders to participate in training and information sharing activities and take our influencing agenda to the next level.
- Ensure that programs/projects and communities are actively engaged in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs/projects.
- Facilitate inter-program/project collaboration and networking.
4. Manage with Results-Based Approach and Risk Mitigation (15%)
- Ensure the financial integrity and viability of the Country Office (CO) and Children Believe supported programs.
- Regularly review and recommend changes to policies, procedures and guidelines to measurably improve organizational effectiveness and comply with local legislation.
- Ensure the performance of all contracts, memorandums of agreement (MOAs), and other internal/external regulations.
- Recommend and take ownership for program and project affiliation, growth, graduation, disengagement and disaffiliation.
- Ensure timely and useful communications between COs and the Canada Office, including regular reporting and information.
5. Achieve High Team Performance and Build Team Capacity (15%)
- Lead and develop a high performing CO team.
- Utilize subject matter experts as required to inform, approve and drive the work of the CO.
- Build CO staff capacity and a culture focused on achieving both quality and results.
- Recruit and retain top performing staff; evaluate performance, provide training, recognize and reward achievement and discipline as required. Comply with all Children Believe policies and procedures.
- Other related duties as assigned by the CIPO.
How To Apply
- If you have the passion, commitment and expertise to support Children Believe Ethiopia to achieve our vision of social sustainability, submit: (1) Cover Letter, (2) Current Resume, and (3) Gross Salary Expectations through the Careers & Opportunities page of our website: https://childrenbelieve.secure.force.com/careers
Applications are welcome from qualified applicants and will be received until April 16, 2021.
- To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
Applications must be submitted in English.
Children Believe is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
Women who meet the minimum requirements are highly encouraged to apply.
Consistent with our Child Protection/Safe-Guarding Policy the successful candidate must receive clearance by a criminal record check.
People & Culture Team