This casual position (up to 35 hours per week) will run from approximately the beginning of October 2020 to the middle of July 2021. There are inactive periods of between 5-7 weeks occurring during the 2nd week of December to early January, the 2 reading weeks (November and February) and the 3 weeks for intersession term break (April/May), in accordance with the School’s operational requirements for the fall, winter and spring terms start and end periods. Please note that the hours worked per week and annual salary will be pro-rated to reflect this. This position will also be required to work variable shifts between 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The Dental Materials Clerk coordinates the dispensing and return of all dental materials, instrumentation and small equipment as requested by the dental students, hygiene students, residents, support staff and clinical instructors. The Dental Materials Clerk is responsible for ensuring that all dental materials and kits, instrumentation cassettes and small equipment are kept stocked and up to date. Knowledge of dental procedures and product, supply management operations and dental and hygiene program requirements is required.
- Works in a fast-paced environment and has a high level of contact with the dental students, hygiene students, residents, support staff and clinical instructors
- Monitors inventory of dental materials including expiry dates to ensure supplies are utilized accordingly
- Coordinates dispensing and return of dental materials, instrumentation and small equipment as requested
- Prepares and maintains required dental sundries
- Completes inventory of dental materials, instrumentation and small equipment within scheduled timelines
- Ensures School of Dentistry protocols are adhered to for the dispensing and return of all materials
- Moves carts in coordination with set schedule between 3 areas of the clinic
- Records all dental materials that have been requested and dispensed
- Monitors expendable and non-expendable inventory to ensure adequate inventory for the dental, dental hygiene and GPR clinic
- Assists in maintaining databases for inventory
- Mentors students and instructors to minimize infection control violations
- Maintains cleanliness of sundry carts, dispensary and soiled return room
- Prepares the dispensary rooms following IPC Protocol and afternoon clinical operations
- Maintains MSDS database and the University of Alberta and/or Alberta Health Services protocol documents to ensure they are current and ready for reference by faculty, staff and students
- Performs other related duties and special projects as assigned
- Minimum High School Diploma; dental education and training is an asset
- Related experience in a dental environment is an asset
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure during peak dispensing times is an asset
- Knowledge of sterilization procedures for dental instruments and equipment an asset
- Familiarity of supply management operations and dental and hygiene program requirements an asset
- Current WHIMIS training and knowledge of Infection Control Protocol
- Current CPR: Health Care Provider Level C certification
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and perform tasks accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and work well under pressure
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and lift up to 50 pounds
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
View or Apply
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email /cover or application letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.