Date Posted: 10/15/2021
Req ID: 18624
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: Dept of Astronomy and Astrophysics
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada’s leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
The Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics is engaged in a wide range of observational and theoretical research while working with our associated units, the Canadian Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics and Dunlap Institute for Astronomy & Astrophysics. In recent years, our department has participated in national and international projects at the cutting edge of astronomy. Located at the University of Toronto, one of the highest ranked research universities in the world, our department creates a lively and diverse atmosphere for research, teaching and outreach.
Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics, the Department Manager and Executive Assistant to the Chair is responsible for providing administrative, financial, and operational management and leadership to the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics. The Department Manager and Executive Assistant to the Chair is responsible for administrative departmental functions, including departmental budgeting and finance, human resource management, and facilities and space management.
The incumbent manages budgets for the Department including the operating budgets, graduate student funding budget, teaching assistant budget, awards and fellowships, endowments and research grants; provides advice and guidance to the Chair on all budgetary matters, assists in formulation sound financial practices; works in collaboration with the Department Chair, to develop short and long-term strategic plans, to support the Department’s research, teaching, and outreach activities.
The incumbent also leads and motivates administrative staff members, and manages functions related to human resource management including the assigning of work, hiring, performance management, and professional development of staff; plans and manages the Department’s facilities, equipment, and space in collaboration with the Department Chair; manages the information technology resources; interprets and advises the Department Chair on University policies offering recommendations on all administrative issues; develops administrative policies and procedures; and acts as the Department’s senior administrative resource person on all issues.
University degree in the area of Commerce or Business, or an acceptable equivalent of education and experience.
- A minimum of five years administrative experience at the supervisory/management level managing a complex organization preferably in a University environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the University’s budget and academic human resources and administrative policies.
- Experience administering complex financial and human resources policies, procedures and collective agreements; knowledge of relevant legislation; experience working with the University’s administrative and financial policies preferred.
- Strong experience in planning and managing budgets.
- Knowledge and ability to manage space and facilities.
- Purchasing and contract negotiation experience.
- Experience in providing research support by researching, analyzing, and making recommendations, providing risk assessments and options.
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with senior administrators, responding to and handling matters of a complex and sensitive nature.
- Proven leadership and management skills and experience in team building, managing change and adapting to new technology.
- Knowledge of and experience with all the University’s Administrative Management Systems (AMS) and its applications (FIS, HRIS, RIS, DIS) and ROSI.
- Highly proficient using Excel spreadsheet and other financial planning tools.
- Proficiency with PC office systems like Word, Powerpoint, web tools, and Internet/e-mail applications.
- Proficiency with setting up and maintaining databases in order to produce and update statistical reports and to archive material.
- Practical knowledge in all phases of accountancy and business practices.
- Demonstrated analytical ability in budget forecasting, supervisory skills, and problem solving.
- Ability to assimilate and interpret significant amounts of information, including financial analysis.
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Highly professional with demonstrated ability to manage sensitive matters with all levels of University faculty and administration.
- Exceptional leadership, interpersonal skills and conflict resolution skills with the demonstrated ability to engage, secure support, commitment and results from others.
- Through knowledge of management principles; demonstrated analytical and strategic planning abilities and strong judgement skills.
- Ability to manage pro-actively a large and constantly fluctuating workload. Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability within a constantly changing environment.
- Strong leadership including ability to foster confidence and motivation in staff and to develop cooperative, collegial working relationships with a broad range of University constituencies.
Closing Date: 10/25/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: Salaried
Appointment Type: Budget – Term
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: PM 3 — Hiring Zone: $81,873 – $95,518 — Broadband Salary Range: $81,873 – $136,454
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial
NOTE:This is a term position ending in December 2022
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.