Careers that empowers young dreamers
When you make a decision to work with Christian Children’s Fund of Canada (CCFC), alternately known as Children Believe, you’re not just doing something great for your career, you’re helping empower children around the world to access education, pursue their dreams and be a voice for change. We know there are lots of career options for talented, top performers like you, but not many offer the opportunity to help children dream and live fearlessly. We are currently recruiting for the following position: Deputy Director – New Business Development.
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
The DD-NBD will lead new business development in the West Africa region; building, ascertaining and gain access to new funding opportunities; maintaining a high quality of donor relationship and proposal development across variable country contexts consistently; and actively seeking to grow income by diversifying funding portfolios including multicountry funding opportunities and consortium partnerships. This position supports the Director-West Africa in providing strategic leadership on resource mobilisation across the West Africa region. She/He will be responsible for architecting and implementing the resource mobilisation strategies for West Africa region; supporting the Director- West Africa in building partnerships with regional donors and civil society stakeholders; identifying new funding opportunities; addressing key financial and reputational risks; and ensuring that there are strategies in place to maintain adequate skills and capacity, staffing and income within the portfolio of countries in the region. The incumbent will provide administrative oversight to functioning of Burkina Faso operations and will be an authorised representative to liaise with government and various government agencies. Maintain beneficial relations with the development community (host government agencies, funders, NGOs, local, regional and international CCFC partners) that result in new revenue generation opportunities. Serve as lead on development of instruments for engagement of principal donors such as USAID, DFATD, DFID, EU, GAC, multilateral agencies, foundations, and private corporations. Lead CCFC local partners in designing high quality, project proposals, as well as negotiating with funders to secure financial and non-financial resources. Responsible for training and building staff capacity in project proposal development, using various tools including Logical Framework.
- Evidence of proven track record in designing and winning major grant awards >$1M.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in a grants acquisition with an international development organization with proven experience at successfully acquiring grants from governments, foundations, and corporations, and in meeting grant targets
- Minimum 2 years in a leadership role encompassing building relationships with development agencies, funding agencies and writing successful concept papers, grant proposals and donor reports
- Degree in relevant development field; MBA or other relevant post-graduate degree is an asset.
- Professional expertise in one or more of CCFC’s key sectors: Education, nutrition and health, micro-enterprise development (MED), and/or water and sanitation; advocacy is an asset Project planning, management, monitoring and evaluation experience, including budgeting and reporting
- Experience in using Results Oriented and Participatory Development Approach (PDA) tools. Experience in Logical Framework Analysis (LFA) is an asset DD-NBD-WA Position Description CCFC is committed to safeguard the rights, interests and well-being of children with whom it comes in contact and adheres to non-negotiable Child Safe-Guarding standards making it safe for the children we work with through all our programs and operations.
- Excellent interpersonal communications, relationship-building, conflict management, networking and negotiation skills, especially when developing / maintaining contacts and influencing development and funding agencies.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including public speaking, networking and presentation skills; ability to speak and write in English and French and knowledge of other languages will be an asset.
- Demonstrable experience in engaging with bilateral and multilateral donors for an international agency like CCFC with proven ability to identify new business opportunities and partnerships
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively, both nationally, regionally and internationally as required
- Capacity and willingness to work a flexible schedule in a time sensitive environment Commitment to CCFC’s Vision, Mission and Values
Attributes, Traits, and Behaviours:
- Excellent persuasive communicator
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to details.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a high pressure environment with deadlines.
- Results-oriented, proactive, respects time, self-motivated, honest and highly responsible.
- Proven flexibility to meet internal and external deadlines in the context of changing demands and competing priorities.
Responsibility A – Develop & Implement West Africa Grants Acquisition Strategy –
- Leads the development of regional fundraising strategy, in collaboration with critical stakeholders intended to strengthen income and partnerships to deliver on the CCFC strategy.
- Conducts trend analysis, undertake research, build and maintain relationships with new and potential funders to position CCFC for better success.
- Develop initiatives which facilitate the success of grant funding growth and acquisition.
- Lead the Go/No-Go process for all new opportunities identified for the Country Office.
- Oversee and ensure that all proposals follow the Grants Policy and procedures.
- Develop & monitor the funding pipeline and leads on income planning and forecasting at a regional level including revisiting the fundraising strategies.
- Coordinate with Canada Office teams, CCFC’s local partners, Country Office (CO) management team, in-country and regional contacts.
- Responsible for ensuring that the regional programs are adequately resourced.
- Explore opportunities and collaborate in public fundraising efforts with other partners.
- Stand in when the DWA is travel or business demands it as the Country Representative for Burkina Faso with delegated authority to represent CCFC with the Government and other stakeholders.
Responsibility B – New Business Development –
- Actively conducts on-going intelligence gathering, opportunity mapping and planning.
- Proactively Identifies funding opportunities, partnership prospects and working in collaboration with appropriate stakeholders, develops/writes successful proposals for grant acquisitions in pursuit of supporting CCFC’s regional aspiration.
- Strive to raise income for CCFC through multi country funding opportunities and scoping new consortium partnerships with stakeholders at regional level for multi-country program interventions.
- Pursue multi-country / regional opportunities that are increasingly offered by institutional donors to address transnational issues such as migration, climate change, natural disasters and conflicts.
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly reporting of NBD, feed into MIS, update and refresh data provided.
Responsibility C – Bid Development & Submission of Proposals –
- Organizes all essential preliminaries for country specific, multi-country or multi-regional proposal development and bid management;
- Identify and analyze grant/funding opportunities based on specificities and technical requirements in collaboration with concerned team members, draft competitive proposals, and take lead in competitive bid submissions
- Develop technically sound concept notes and full proposals and lead the NBD target setting for each year; regular tracking of acquisitions against those targets.
- Coordinate CO teams in planning, coordination and developing high quality concept papers, programme proposals and budgets for a variety of donor agencies.
- Provides effective bid project management at country/ regional level and undertakes quality assurance of donor proposals to ensure high quality competitive proposals in order to successfully secure institutional donor funds at scale.
- Participate in project design missions and relevant workshops in other countries where CCFC operates, as DD-NBD-WA Position Description CCFC is committed to safeguard the rights, interests and well-being of children with whom it comes in contact and adheres to nonnegotiable Child Safe-Guarding standards making it safe for the children we work with through all our programs and operations. 3 required.
- Lead risk assessments and mitigation strategies in a manner that ensures CCFC is protected from direct or indirect liabilities and leverage existing project portfolio to seek opportunities for scaling and replication.
Responsibility D – Strategic Partnership and Donor Engagement
- Responsible for cultivating strategic partnerships and translate the leads to long lasting business relationships with other organizations, funders, institutional donors, bilateral, multilateral, public, private sector, INGO, and local NGO constituents in a multi-country context.
- Strategic and proactive engagement with institutional donors at regional level to facilitate technical programme exchanges, influencing policy agenda, and identify key areas of potential collaborations, including program funding.
- Advocate and mobilize local efforts to build CCFC’s public relations to leverage resources, build and maintain partnerships as well as CCFC’s public image with multiple audiences in various countries in collaboration with communications team.
- Supports local partners in resource diversification, and dissemination of lessons learned.
- Positions CCFC as an efficient, effective and reliable development partner.
Responsibility E – Capacity Building & Technical Support –
- Strengthens business development activities within CCFC by linking the funding team to access intelligence, opportunities and skills.
- Brokering and streamlining assistance from technical advisers and donor account managers.
- Orient and supports concerned staff of CCFC on grant acquisition, project cycle management, donor requirements, organization’s internal procedures, and guidelines of the donors.
- Compiles and disseminates lessons learned, and leads reflections on knowledge application to future proposals
- Trains staff and local partners in identification and response to funding opportunities.
- Assist in selection of new partners, as needed, for new grant acquisition.
Responsibility F – Funding Landscape Knowledge Management –
- Maintain donor database and update landscape assessment/strategy as needed.
- Networks with other CCFC and ChildFund Alliance colleagues, to exchange mutually beneficial information on new business development, as well as development trends.
- Stays current on funding trends and major themes, such as aid effectiveness.
- Contributes to the development agenda, through public/private policy engagement
- Stay current on issues of socio-economic development, poverty eradication, fundraising, and community development programs and policies, as they relate to the Country of Operation and Region.
- Undertake and lead prospecting activities and intelligence gathering through research and identification of donor interests and priorities; and accordingly develop concept notes and proposals according to the program offer/s and specific thematic areas identified in the grants pipeline.
Responsibility G – Liasioning & Special Tasks –
- In coordination with the DWA, DD-NBD liaises with national and district authorities, donors, NGOs, and other operational partners, including attendance at scheduled and ad hoc meetings, and represent CCFC and CCFC’s interests by maintaining positive, constructive relations.
- Supervise and complete special projects, as assigned, by the CD.
- Lead new grant opportunities that occur in the areas of Resource Procurement and/or Disaster Risk Reduction and/or Emergency Response in coordination with Canada office counterpart.
- Develops targeted messaging, e.g. corporate capabilities statement and fact sheets.
- Prepare Terms of Reference for consultants, and coordinate their work in project development-related assignments.
- To apply, please follow this link:: https://vacanciesincanada.ca/ngojobs
- If you wish to apply for this position, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter) that you saw it on vacanciesincanada.ca
If you have the passion, commitment and expertise to support CCFC West Africa to achieve our vision of social sustainability, submit: (1) Cover Letter, (2) Current Resume, and (3) Gross Salary Expectations.
Applications must be submitted in English.
Women who meet the minimum requirements are highly encouraged to apply.
Consistent with our Child Protection/Safe-Guarding Policy the successful candidate must receive clearance by a criminal record check.
Christian Children’s Fund of Canada (Children Believe)
* Please note that we are changing our name to Children Believe and everything you love about us is getting better.
- Address 1200 Denison St. Markham, ON, Canada $ Month