Date Posted: 10/15/2021
Req ID: 18622
Department: Ofc of Chief Librarian
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The University of Toronto Libraries system is the largest academic library system in Canada and is consistently ranked in the top ten among academic research libraries in North America. The system consists of 42 libraries located on three university campuses: St. George, Mississauga, and Scarborough. This array of college libraries, special collections, and specialized libraries and information centres supports the teaching and research requirements of over 300 graduate programs, more than 70 professional programs, and about 700 undergraduate degree programs. In addition to more than 15 million volumes in 341 languages, the library system currently provides access to millions of electronic resources in various forms and over 31,000 linear metres of archival material. More than 150,000 new print volumes are acquired each year. The Libraries’ data centre houses more than 500 servers with a storage capacity of 1.5 petabytes.
Under the general direction of the University Chief Librarian and the Director, Advancement, the Director of Library Communications will work collegially and collaboratively, providing expert guidance to the Central Libraries’ leadership, staff and librarians on internal and external-facing communications and media strategy, tactics and best practices to elevate UTL’s profile and advance results-driven campaigns. The incumbent will be the first point of contact for coordinating communications needs and campaigns across diverse stakeholders, both internal to the Central Libraries and externally. Often privy to sensitive and confidential information, the Director will be responsible for developing and implementing internal communication strategies of the highest quality that advance strategic goals, and align with those of the University.
The incumbent will have a strong understanding of the logistical work that underpins strategic execution, and be able to communicate library specific initiatives to a wider audience.
The Director will oversee development and execution of the Central Libraries’ internal communications strategy, ensuring integration across the University of Toronto Libraries (UTL) 42 libraries. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for providing strategic advice and direction to libraries and units across the Central Libraries who may be developing and executing their own initiatives. The Director will work closely with other libraries and units to ensure alignment, consistency, and efficient use of resources.
The Director will oversee a large portfolio of media, marketing and communication initiatives, including multi-platform campaigns. The Director will actively participate in senior-level decision-making and be responsible for liaising and working closely with UTL and University leadership as needed, to ensure appropriate consultation and process on communications plans. The Director will facilitate the design of marketing and communications strategies that are comprehensive, innovative and sensitive to the needs of diverse local, regional and international target audiences, and ensure continual incorporation of current best practices.
As a leader and a mentor of the UTL Strategic Communications team, the Director will manage a staff of high-caliber creative professionals and assume responsibility for human resources, labour relations and financial management including dispute resolution and compliance with collective agreements.
University degree in communications or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Graduate degree an asset.
- A minimum of six to seven (6 – 7) years’ experience in communication and marketing management with extensive experience creating and executing integrated internal and external communications strategies, often on complex topics, on behalf of a publicly visible organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and diversity and an awareness of and sensitivity to issues of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Strong record of collaborations and partnerships.
- Experience working in a highly complex organization and willingness to work across units and departments.
- Experience managing communications issues involving human resource and labour relations an asset.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing a team in a unionized environment an asset.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills; excellent oral and presentation skills.
- Ability to deal professionally with tension and conflicts.
- Outstanding communications judgment. Expert in-depth knowledge of current communications best practices and trends.
- Able to work in a highly diverse community with staff from varied backgrounds and a variety of age groups.
- Ability to foster an inclusive environment for faculty, staff, librarians, students and members of the public.
- Excellent project management skills, creative management skills, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience with digital measurement and associated analytics and reporting tools.
- Detail oriented to ensure accurate and reliable implementation of media and communication strategies.
- Proficiency in digital-first office and multi-platform communications approaches and content trends. Understanding of social media and emerging digital platforms.
- Ability to balance a tactical and strategic perspective; political acumen and strong conflict management skills; consultative leadership style with a focus on collegiality and respect.
- Strong desire to act as a mentor to staff.
- Strong analytical skills; professionalism; tact and diplomacy.
- Strong commitment to values of equity, diversity and inclusion; demonstrated ability to integrate these throughout communications activities.
- Passion for working at the University of Toronto and for the creation and implementation of communications strategies to support the Library’s goals.
Closing Date: 11/05/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: Salaried
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: PM 5 — Hiring Zone: $105,411 – $122,980 — Broadband Salary Range: $105,411 – $175,685
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.