The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Economic and Prosperity
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job
The British High Commission is inviting applications for a temporary Economic Analyst position within the Economics and Trade Team. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing reporting on Canadian economy for HM Government departments, liaison work with the finance ministry to advocate UK international economic priorities, and provide research support for ad hoc requests.
The jobholder will work closely with a wider team covering the broad range of bilateral trade and economic portfolios, and play a supporting role in cross-team work to strengthen UK-Canada relations, following the UK’s departure from the European Union and in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. There will also be ad hoc requirements to work with the British Consulates-General in Canada.
The jobholder will need to be adaptable to emerging organisation priorities and be called upon to assist in other portfolios as required.
Roles and responsibilities
Produce reporting on developments in the Canadian economy (particularly in response to COVID-19), and their relevance for the British government priorities and UK companies’ commercial interests in the Canadian market.
Ensure reporting products are tailored to appropriate audiences in the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, HM Treasury, Bank of England, and covering the broad range of fiscal, monetary, and microeconomic issues.
Build relationships with key interlocutors in the Canadian government to ensure UK international economic priorities are advanced through institutions such as the G20, G7, IMF, etc. Identify opportunities to leverage senior members of staff where appropriate. Build relationships with key business, academic, and think tank organisations.
Provide ad hoc research in response to requests from HM Government departments on a range of economic, social, and labour policy issues. Ensure UK audience clearly understands Canadian best practice and lessons learned.
Contribute as required to briefing products in advance of meetings to ensure ministers and/or senior officials are suitably prepared.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Essential on arrival: An undergraduate degree or similar experience in economics, business, or related discipline – with strong understanding of macroeconomics
- Knowledge of current trends in the Canadian economy and key drivers
- Understanding of the Canadian federal system, and machinery of the federal government
- Ability to write clearly for range of audiences in varying degrees of detail
- Proven ability to work within changing circumstances and willingness to be adaptable to new priorities
Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- A graduate degree in economics or related discipline
- Experience working in the Canadian federal government, industry association, or other diplomatic mission
- Knowledge of UK government international economic priorities
Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Delivering at Pace, Engaging Internationally
5 August 2020
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
North America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British High Commission
Starting monthly salary (CAD)
5 October 2020
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/embassyjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter) where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 80 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON $ Month