The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job
The British Consulate-General in Montreal is the office of the United Kingdom Government in Quebec. We are part of a network of five UK Government offices in Canada. The Political and Public Affairs Officer is responsible for advancing UK policy and prosperity objectives in Quebec through fostering cooperation between British and Quebec partners and promoting UK interests through communications and public diplomacy tools.
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Monitor, analyse and report on Quebec political and policy developments.
- Develop opportunities for collaboration between Quebec and UK partners in areas of public policy.
- Plan and organise programmes for official visitors and accompany to meetings where required.
- Develop contacts for the Consul-General and wider Consulate team in Quebec government and business including government agencies, media, NGOs, business groups and universities.
- Initiate and implement public diplomacy activities including events.
- Work closely with Department for International Trade (DIT) and Science and Innovation (SIN) colleagues on projects that advance the UK’s prosperity agenda.
- Monitor major media outlets in Quebec; analyse and report on issues relating to UK priorities in Quebec and Canada.
- As part of the UK’s Media and Public Affairs team in Canada, lead on engagement with francophone media in Quebec and across Canada.
- Identify ways to leverage social media content in both French and English to promote UK policy, commercial objectives and activities in Quebec.
- Take on additional corporate responsibilities, including acting as local IT champion working closely with the IT Support Officer based in Ottawa.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- No permanent staff management, but the officer may be responsible for recruiting and managing an intern.
- The jobholder will play a role in managing the budgets of ad hoc projects.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential on arrival:
- Knowledge of and interest in the UK.
- Good understanding of Quebec.
- Fluent in English and French (written and spoken).
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience of political, press and/or public affairs work.
- Experience of working in a diplomatic mission or government organisation.
- Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
15 December 2019
Type of Position
Working hours per week
North America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (CAD)
2 March 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
- The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
Learning and development opportunities:
The jobholder will be encouraged to undertake developmental training relevant to the position and to and participate in wider learning and development opportunities. The role is an excellent opportunity to develop your skills in political analysis and reporting, stakeholder engagement, events management, digital communications and press handling.
- The UK in Canada Network fully supports and actively encourages staff to consider alternative forms of working. Active consideration will be given to all applications for flexible working arrangements. Agreement to a request to work flexibly is always subject to operational requirements and line manager agreement.
- Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/embassyjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your application (application form & cover letter) where you saw this job posting.
- Address 2000 McGill College Ave Suite 1940, Montreal, Quebec
- Salary Offer $5,050.88 $ $5,050.88 Month