The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Science and Innovation
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate-General in Toronto is recruiting for the role of Head of Science, Innovation and Policy. This position is permanent, starting as soon as possible.
With primary responsibility for the province of Ontario, the position will encourage high level science and innovation policy cooperation to benefit the UK, facilitating the exchange of knowledge between policymakers and the science community. Responsibilities include:
- Building science and innovation partnerships and collaborations between the UK and provincial and municipal governments. In particular, engaging influential stakeholders in government, academia and industry to deliver high-impact projects and commercial wins for the UK. This is anticipated to be the primary focus of work.
- Supporting the wider work of the UK in Canada network in setting the policy conditions for economic growth and encouraging innovation. It seeks to make best use of technology cooperation and investment to grow UK innovation potential.
This is an exciting opportunity that requires a mix of project management, policy analysis, and strategic stakeholder engagement. Reporting to the Head of the Energy, Science, Innovation Team at the High Commission in Ottawa, the candidate will work collaboratively with other policy groups within the British High Commission, the Canada network of Consulates General, British government departments, and the UK’s global Science and Innovation Network (SIN).
The successful candidate will be required to travel within Canada and internationally. There will be some out-of-hours work, including attendance at evening events.
Roles and responsibilities :
The main responsibilities of the successful applicant are as follows:
- Identify, develop, and deliver projects that support UK government objectives in Canada, including strengthening ties in science and innovation collaboration.
- Provide policy analysis and lobby to support UK government priorities within Ontario.
- Develop and maintain contacts in the economic, science and innovation community including government, NGOs, think-tanks and universities.
- Seek opportunities to promote UK economic growth and R&D potential, in collaboration with the UK Department for International Trade.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential on arrival:
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years professional experience in public policy, economics, engineering, or science. Masters degree or equivalent experience would be considered an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills with ability to interact effectively with senior government officials, business leaders, scientists, and the public.
- Proven ability to work independently, multitask, and feel at ease networking at mid- to senior-level.
- Excellent presentation skills with ability to produce clear, concise written reports and a knack for talking to range of expert and non-subject expert audiences.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Knowledge of government, policy, science and innovation in Ontario and Canada.
- Knowledge of the UK, including government, policy, and the science and innovation landscape would be an asset.
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Delivering at Pace, Engaging Internationally
21 August 2019
Type of Position
Working hours per week
- America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
Starting yearly salary (CAD)
28 October 2019
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/embassyjobs
- If you wish to apply for this position, please specify (on the application form and in your cover letter) that you saw it on vacanciesincanada.ca
- Address 777 Bay St #2800, Toronto, ON
- Salary Offer $76,190.05 $ $76,190.05 Month