The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international economic development department. DIT Canada, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom, is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and Canada and foreign direct investment to the UK. See www.gov.uk/dit for further information.
DIT Toronto is seeking an Investment Officer to support the Senior Investment Officer to attract foreign direct investment to the UK by assisting Ontario based companies to establish or expand their operations in the UK. This role will work across multiple sectors including advanced engineering, life sciences, and financial and business professional services while leading on client engagement in the clean growth sector. This position will be based at the British Consulate in Toronto reporting to the Senior Investment Officer for Ontario, working as part of the Consulate team and wider North American virtual team.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
This is a multi-disciplinary role and the successful candidate will be pivoting between administrative duties, research, lead generation, and client relationship management/pipeline and project management. It also provides scope for creativity and working across science and innovation and prosperity teams. Responsibilities include:
- Research sectors and proactively identify Ontario-based companies across advanced engineering, life sciences, financial and business professional services, and clean growth that would be interested in setting up or expanding their operations in the UK.
- Proactive client outreach including making initial contact, scheduling company meetings, preparing meeting briefs and organizing business development visits for the Senior Investment Officer.
- Attend client meetings and assist the Senior Investment Officer in the management of client relationships and investment projects, while leading projects in the clean growth sector.
- Develop knowledge and maintain a comprehensive network of industry and business contacts in the clean growth sector to support business development efforts, leveraging and working with other colleagues, including the Science & Innovation Officer and Consul General.
- Liaise with C-suite external contacts, internal teams, devolved administrations, and other stakeholders.
- Build and maintain expert knowledge of developments and trends in the UK and Ontario clean growth sector to anticipate and address emerging sector opportunities, challenges, and synergies with the UK’s Industrial Strategy and clean growth Grand Challenge.
- Assist the Senior Investment Officer to forge relationships with business leaders, trade associations, and multipliers in both the UK and Ontario.
- Help organize and execute the delivery of DIT events and providesupport with incoming VIP visitor programs and briefings. Contribute when necessary to administrative and logistical support for Consulate-wide events.
- Maintain theclient relationship management (CRM) database, lists of key contacts, and other data. Manage administrative tasks such as updating spreadsheets, budget profiling and other similar duties.
- Attend key business and sector events and official functions during and outside of office hours and undertake occasional travel in both North America and the UK
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as business administration or international business or the equivalent industry experience.
- Direct or relevant experience that can be applied to the advanced engineering, life sciences, financial, business professional services and/or clean growth sectors.
- 2-3 years’ experience in a professional and client focused environment with relevant public and/or private sector, economic or business development capacity.
- Proficiency in Office 365 and Microsoft Teams is essential.
- Positive team player who can operate as a part of a wider, geographically dispersed team with shared goals and wide-ranging objectives.
- Organised, proactive approach to work, with the ability to deliver effectively under limited day-to-day supervision in a fast-paced, deadline-sensitive environment.
- Strong project management and organisational skills, attention to detail, and good follow up discipline.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage companies at a senior level with a proven track record of fostering business relationships.
- Highly professional demeanour.
Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Knowledge of the UK investment and business environment.
- Knowledge of the UK-Ontario-Canada bilateral business relationship.
Seeing the Big Picture, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
16 February 2021
Type of Position
Working hours per week
North America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
Starting yearly salary ()
29 March 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
- Able to be located in/relocate to the Toronto area.
- Be willing to undertake occasional travel in North America and to the UK.
- Be willing to represent DIT and the British Consulate at external functions (during both working hours and evenings).
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
How to Apply
- To apply, please follow this link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter) how (vacanciesincanada.ca) you heard about this vacancy.