East Gwillimbury Public Library (www.egpl.ca) is a collaborative, forward-thinking library system that serves a growing population of over 32,000 in an urban/rural setting and is located in the Region of York, approximately 5 minutes north of the Town of Newmarket. We value creativity, new ideas and pride ourselves on providing excellent customer experiences. Branches are located in the communities of Holland Landing and Mount Albert, with a third location currently being developed and designed.
Are you up for the challenge? Bring your skills and experience to the East Gwillimbury Public Library and join a growing team that is committed to enriching lives in the designated growth community in York Region. As the Librarian Intern, you will provide marketing, technology, and virtual outreach support to the Library system through the development and delivery of innovative workshops while developing the skills you need to succeed in modern librarianship. You will have the opportunity to gain insight into the day in the life of a growing library system and participate in offering services to the community. Playing and learning with new technology and marketing software will be part of your role, but you’ll be given the opportunity to assist on several special projects tailored to your plans for your own career. Weekends and evening shifts will be scheduled.
• Recent graduate with a Master of Library and Information Science degree (or equivalent degree) from an accredited library school
• Have a sense of fun and enthusiasm for public libraries
• Possesses a keen interest in services to all ages
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrated experience/interest in working with innovative technologies such as 3D printing, Virtual Programming, Cricut vinyl cutters and more an asset
• Demonstrated experience/interest in developing and delivering programs for children and youth an asset
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to travel between library branches and outreach visits
• Familiarity with SirsiDynix Symphony integrated library system considered an asset
• Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status, or refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible)
• Legal entitlement to work in Canada
• Between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
East Gwillimbury Public Library is a competency-based workplace. For this position, the Library seeks applicants with the following demonstrated aptitudes.
• Access Services
• Collaborative Relationships
• Collection Control & Maintenance
• Customer Services
• Ethics & Values
• Interpersonal Relationships
• Learning & Growth mindset
• Organization of Collections
• Patron Training
• Readers Advisory
• Reference and Circulation Services
• Technology Core Competencies
Status: Full-time; Temporary
Schedule: 35 hours weekly, including evenings and weekends
Start date: 2020-11-30
End date: 2021-03-19
Hourly Rate $20.00 plus 4% vacation pay
Deadline 4:00 p.m. Monday, October 26, 2020.
How and Where to Apply
Interested candidates must be registered in the Young Canada Works online candidate inventory (https://young-canada-works.canada.ca) and provide a covering letter and resume addressed to:
Ben Van Gorp
Manager, IT & Digital Experience
East Gwillimbury Public Library
P.O. Box 1609, 19513 Yonge Street
Holland Landing, ON
Email: [email protected]
East Gwillimbury Public Library is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and have established policies, procedures, and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards of the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please notify the contact person identified in this posting.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Personal Privacy Act and will only be used for candidate selection.
View or Apply
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email /cover or application letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.