Internal/External Posting Notice
Title: Manager, Finance & Administration
Department: Finance & Operations
Status: Full-time, unionized
Location: Ottawa, ON
Immediate Supervisor: Director, Finance & Operations
Salary: $65,373.65 – $84,887.07
Level: Band 3
Application Deadline: July 1, 2020
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Director, Finance & Operations, the Manager, Finance & Administration (Manager, F&A): ensures that timely and accurate accounting and financial services are provided to the internal and external clients of the organization; manages the building operations and material management services; supervises the Finance and Administration Team; and performs other operational support related duties.
The Manager F&A possesses solid technical, communication, technology, analytical and management skills. They also possess knowledge of all aspects of the generally accepted accounting principles in Canada and must demonstrate a high level of responsibility and initiative in a similar position and work environment.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
1. ACCOUNTING and FINANCIAL SERVICES (50%):
The Manager F&A ensures that timely and accurate accounting and financial services are provided to clients. This will include:
Planning & Budgeting
- In cooperation with the Director, Finance & Operations, prepare budget guidelines;
- Review and revise budget templates;
- Coordinate the annual budget planning process and quarterly forecast review;
- Develop and oversee operational and capital budgets and develops annual projections;
- Consolidate annual organizational budgets and cash flow;
- Work with and assist all staff and managers in the preparation of their departmental budgets.
Accounting, Monitoring & Reconciliation
- Monitor and review accounts payables and payment processing;
- Monitor and review accounts receivables and collection processing;
- Monitor financial transactions through analysis and verification of reports, support documents and currency conversions;
- Maintain current and accurate investment schedules including monthly interest accruals;
- Invest excess funds in accordance with Oxfam Canada policy and monitor returns;
- Correspond with bank officers regarding bank account management, signing authorities, etc.;
- Monitor deferred revenue in cooperation with Program Accountants;
- Monitor overhead recoveries posted by Program Accountants;
- Maintain the organization’s Chart of Accounts and accounting structure;
- Monitor and review fixed assets schedules;
- Provide general training and coaching to managers & employees on financial management when appropriate;
- Monitor and review donations revenues accounting processes;
- Ensure adherence to month-end closure policy and cut-off dates;
- Review and approve monthly bank reconciliations;
- Review and approve monthly balance sheet accounts reconciliation.
Reporting & Analysis
- Produce timely departmental & organization-wide financial statements (monthly, quarterly, annually, ad hoc) as required;
- Provide periodic financial reporting and analysis on the various activities and programs of the organization to the various directors, managers and partners (Oxfam International, other Oxfam Affiliates, project partners);
- Design specialized reports as needed;
- Oversee and review regulatory reporting (GST, corporate and charitable returns, etc).
Audits & Compliance
- Liaise with external auditors and donor-appointed auditors as required;
- Lead and monitor the work of the Finance Team in preparation for a successful and efficient year end organizational audit;
- Ensure that required working papers are complete and accurate in preparation for donor-requested audits;
- Review audit recommendations and propose changes as required;
- Coordinate internal audits and review of regional and overseas operations as needed;
- In liaison with external auditors, oversee the posting of year-end adjusting entries.
- Assess current accounting and financial internal control systems, offer recommendations for their improvement, and implement ensuing changes, new systems and processes as required.
- Travel internationally to undertake field office visits for internal and external audits.
Financial Information Systems
- Leads and coordinates accounting system upgrades;
- Liaise with vendors, Information Technology and Information Systems unit on system improvements.
Back-Up and Support
- Perform certain critical tasks normally assigned to supervised employees during their absences and/or during peak work periods in order to ensure, in part, that the organization is fulfilling its reporting requirements with the authorities, its Board of Directors, and the confederation.
2. BUILDING OPERATIONS and MATERIAL MANAGEMENT (25%):
The Manager, F&A shall manage the building operations and materials management services. This will include:
- With the assistance of the F&A team, oversee overall building property management services such as maintenance, upkeep and repairs of the organization’s properties, including the preparation and management of the associated budget;
- Maintain safe, efficient, ecologically sustainable working environment processes and systems on the organization’s premises and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including health and safety and fire safety;
- Develop, maintain and manage a system to ensure proactive and preventive maintenance of premises and mechanical/electrical systems (cleaning, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, fire equipment, alarm system, etc.), negotiate contracts for repairs and maintenance, assist with the preparation of “Requests for Proposals” (RFP) for building maintenance and other contracts, support the bidding processes and assist with evaluation of tenders;
- Responds to building operations emergency calls;
- Oversee the management of the access control security systems including responding to alarm monitoring calls’
- Ensure proper insurance coverage for the organization’s premises and activities/events, including contents, occupants/visitors, Board of Directors members and management team, and ensures contractors have adequate liability insurance;
- Overseeing any insurance claim process when required;
- Manage tenants relations, negotiate leases with tenants, maintain a log of all leases and contractual obligations, including for overseas offices when applicable (in cooperation with Program staff);
- Act as a contact for building management and tenants relations purposes for the National Headquarters office in Ottawa;
- Work with staff and tenants to promote energy-efficient and ecologically sustainable practices, and collect and analyse data on Oxfam’s ecological footprint;
- With the assistance of the F&A team, plan, manage and monitor the material management budget including procuring required goods and services (such as furniture, office equipment, ergonomic equipment, office supplies, etc.) within approved delegated authorities and processing applicable invoices;
- Oversee the maintaining of an Asset Register for financial accounting and cyclical replacement purposes;
3. SUPERVISION (15%):
The Manager, F&A shall provide supervision of the Finance and Administrative team. This includes:
- Lead, mentor, motivate and provide clear direction to Finance & Administration team.
- Effectively delegate work objectives to employees, manage their work performance and complete performance reviews
- Ensure proper support, training & coaching of the team employees to maximize the achievement of their work objectives and their professional development;
4. OTHER DUTIES (10%)
The Manager F&A shall complete other Operational Support duties, such as:
- Participate to organizational and confederation-wide committees;
- Assist the Director, Finance and Operations and/or other departments in the management of crisis or special projects;
- Provide support and direction to the Operations team as needed in the Director, Finance & Operations absence;
- Participate to organizational outreach and/or representational activities as requested;
- Other operational support related tasks as may be required from time to time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- A university degree in a related field (Accounting or Business Administration) or equivalent;
- A professional internationally recognized accounting designation such as CA, CGA or CMA or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in finance and administration, preferably in the not-for-profit, non-governmental organizations;
- A minimum of two (2) years in a supervisory role, preferably in a unionized environment;
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of the generally accepted accounting principles in Canada and associated procedures;
- Experience working with the Great Plains accounting system, or a similar accounting system;
- Experience working with budgeting and expense/invoice systems;
- Strong technological skills in accounting software, spreadsheets, word processing;
- Strong understanding of the policies, practices, standards and compliance requirements of Global Affairs Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency;
- Proven capacity to work in a self-directed manner and demonstrated ability to analyse problems, make recommendations and exercise sound judgment;Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize and respond to urgent situations while consistently meeting competing deadlines;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities;
- Excellent attention to details;
- Excellent English oral and written communication;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to be able to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment;
- Excellent client service skillsAdaptable, flexible, and demonstrated ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines;
- Excellent negotiating skills;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Strong knowledge, understanding and commitment to global justice, social change, women’s rights and gender equality;
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
- Ability to undertake international travel, sometimes in difficult circumstances.
- Experience working with CRMs, preferably SalesForce;
- Knowledge and/or experience with building systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical), mechanical/electrical codes, and Municipal and Provincial Health & Safety and Fire regulations;
- Demonstrated experience in property management;
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, Mechanical & Electrical drawings and technical manuals;
- Experience working with the Oxfam Confederation, Global Affairs Canada, or working overseas;
- Fluency in Spanish or French;
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/ngojobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 39 McArthur Avenue Ottawa, ON
- Salary Offer $65,373.65 - $84,887.07 $ $65,373.65 - $84,887.07 Month