This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Job Design Unit in approximately six months.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is dedicated to a constructive, team-orientated environment, gathering varied perspectives, sharing knowledge, and building effective partnerships that enable our partners to achieve their goals by advising, providing solutions, and delivering service excellence in alignment with the University’s mission and goals. Reporting to the Director of Engineering Services, the Manager, Services is responsible for the projects and activities to address new and emerging requirements for the networks including network security and network applications for the University and Atlantic Canada Organization of Research Networks (ACORN).
- Assist in developing the strategic planning and realization of the University’s and Atlantic Canada Organization of Research Networks (ACORN)’s networking infrastructure and related services.
- Responsible for management of personnel, which includes the development of staff, and ensure the proper management and delivery of all programs, projects, and activities in their scope.
- Provide architectural and engineering oversight and ensure that the requirements for network and devices are specified and the performance to specifications is tracked and if needed fixed, modified, or repaired to achieve the desired levels of performance, reliability, quality, and capability.
- Establish and develop relationships with vendors and external constituents in order to provide improved services to the University community and organizational clients.
- Play an active role in strategy and policy/procedure recommendations, in order to maintain current customer satisfaction and to build on our strategic vision.
- Assist the Associate Director of Engineering Services, and the Associate Director of Operations in prioritizing the daily operational work of the Data Wiring and Network Operations Support Team.
Master’s of Internetworking or related field, plus, a minimum of approximately five to ten years’ experience in technical, enterprise network design and delivery (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Experience in a leadership role, managing an enterprise service delivery group. Must be able to exercise initiative and independent judgment in a complex organizational environment. Strong leadership abilities, along with supervisory experience is required. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills is required. The ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others is key. Flexibility and creative problem-solving skills are vital to this role.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie’s core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Respect & Inclusion
- Thinking and Acting Strategically
- Relationship Building
- Resource & Process Management
- Change & Innovation
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Applications from current university employees and external candidates are assessed concurrently. Current university employees will be given special consideration.
We sincerely appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the hiring department or Human Resources.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.