Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. After recently celebrating 50 years of success in 2017, Equitas continues to deliver innovative human rights education programs to advance equality, inclusion, respect for human dignity, and social change in Canada and around the world.
Equitas is seeking a highly motivated Education Specialist who cares passionately about human rights, equality, and inclusion and is experienced in designing, developing educational material and facilitating training. The Education Specialist II, will develop, deliver, and evaluate Equitas human rights education activities for projects in Canada. Reporting to the Director of Education, the successful candidate is a team player and will work in close collaboration with the Program Officers as well as the Senior Education Specialist working on the Canadian Program.
Tasks and main responsibilities
Design and Development of Education Materials
- Carry out the instructional design, development, and production of training materials for text-based and also online training resources. This includes materials for learning needs assessment, application forms, pre-training assignments, training manuals, online courses, and evaluation instruments
- Review and revise education materials in consultation with the Senior Education Specialist and with program staff and partner
- Deliver and facilitate training sessions for specific projects. This includes working with Equitas partners in Canada, to develop training content, facilitating sessions, orientation of local facilitating team, leading and/or participating in daily debriefing sessions during the training, ensuring effective evaluation
- Provide coaching and follow up related to training, evaluation and implementation of local actions
- Participate, as needed, in other activities related to program delivery including carrying out related administrative functions
- Prepare and carry out baseline studies and needs validation
- Design evaluation and monitoring processes and tools, analyze data and prepare reports for funders
Communications and Knowledge Sharing
- Stay current with trends and issues in human rights (e.g. readings, conferences, etc.)
- Stays current with human rights education methodology and trends in the general field of education
- Develop human rights education resources, training manual templates, handbooks, etc.
- Contribute to the promotion of Equitas’ education programs and activities on social media, on the Speaking Rights and Equitas website, etc.
- Contribute to the implementation of Equitas’ knowledge strategy, internally and externally
- Contribute to the management of the Equitas education resources
- Conduct information/training sessions for Equitas staff
- Share good practices with Equitas knowledge partners, at conferences and other events, and within communities of practice to increase understanding of human rights education and Equitas programs
- Contribute to the development of overall program/project strategies and annual planning and reporting
- Contribute to the project formulation (especially with regard to the education component of the project) and provide input into project concept papers, proposals and budgets (e.g. project teams)
- Contribute to funding proposals
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders, partners, decision makers
- Actively participate in, contribute to and support organizational and Education Unit processes (e.g., planning and budgeting processes, reflection/learning processes, team building activities, staff/project team/Education Unit meetings, staff training activities)
- Represent Equitas as appropriate and/or when requested.
- Contributes, as assigned, to continued growth and strengthening of Equitas and its programs.
Skills and experience:
- A minimum of 5 years’ work experience in-learner-centered curriculum design and delivery of training
- Formal education/training in instructional design/curriculum development (or equivalent experience)
- Proven skills in development, implementation, and evaluation of education activities
- Demonstrated facilitation skills
- Proven conceptual and analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong planning and organization skills including the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a cross-cultural setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Experience in design and/or facilitation of online training courses
- Excellent command of Microsoft Word for text design, InDesign, Photoshop, Survey Monkey for data collection and analysis, Excel and PowerPoint, Moodle (knowledge of SharePoint, Salesforce and other programs an asset)
- Excellent communication, speaking, and writing skills, in French (essential) and English.
- Have the right to work in Canada
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Experience working on children and youth programming
How to apply
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Education Specialist Level II in the subject line by August 14, 2020, to:
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 666 Sherbrooke St W, Montreal, Quebec $ Month