Canada’s federal government recently committed $1 billion to drive low-carbon innovation in communities across Canada. The funding will be managed and distributed by the Green Municipal Fund (GMF), an incredibly successful sustainability program run here at FCM, the national voice for Canada’s local governments. Needless to say, there’s plenty of exciting work happening on the GMF team, and it’s growing quickly.
Since 2000, we’ve used a major federal endowment to help municipalities across Canada get over 1,250 GMF-funded projects off the ground. These practical environmental solutions resulted in cleaner air, clean drinking water, more efficient energy systems, reclaimed toxic sites and more. So far, these projects have kept 2.5 million tonnes of GHG emissions out of our atmosphere.
At FCM, we invest significant time and energy in making sure our staff have an outstanding organizational culture and work environment. Our collective efforts strive to build a workplace that fosters teamwork; respect; inclusivity; diversity; equity; and a healthy work environment that enriches the overall FCM experience.
GMF is already a Canadian success story and a national leader in sustainability. Now we’re scaling up energy-efficiency and clean energy solutions nationwide.
Join us for this next chapter. Help us get it done.
Responsible for the strategic and operational planning of the communications function for FCM’s Green Municipal Fund, Low Carbon Cities Canada (LC3), and the Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) program. Reporting to the Senior Manager – Communications, the Manager, Communications (Green Municipal Fund) leads a team of Communications Advisors and Communications Officers for the delivery of communications services and tools to support FCM’s overall GMF strategic objectives.
He/she provides strategic communications advice, develops work plans and budgets, and is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of GMF (FCM) external communications (English/French), including the GMF/LC3/PCP websites of the programs, in both English and French. Core priorities include maximizing awareness of the GMF base programs and its three new program streams, ensuring maximum reach and uptake of its funding and knowledge offers, implementing modern approaches to the programs communications, promoting the programs successes, expanding its online presence, brand management, and guiding the long-term communications vision of GMF alongside the Senior Manager and Director of Communications.
- Manages a team of communications professionals and service providers responsible for delivering communications services and tools to FCM’s GMF and associated sub-programs. This includes overall work planning, assigning priorities to resources, setting clear objectives, establishing performance standards, and empowering team members to meet organizational priorities.
- Provides strategic advice to program and communications staff on the development and delivery of communications programs and activities (English/French) to advance FCM’s program and corporate objectives with regards to the GMF. Collaborates with all FCM departmental colleagues to stay abreast of all issues, analyzes communications requirements, and provides strategic advice and recommendations to advance FCM’s objectives. Provides input into budgeting process and manages project budgets as required
- Responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring a strategy to maximize the impact of program communications to achieve program results.
- Leads the monitoring and evaluation, including the analysis of analytics related to social media and our website, to ensure continuous improvements in the development and dissemination of program information and resources
- Oversees the provision of GMF program-related communications services and tools for the FCM President, board members and CEO for provincial-territorial meetings, FCM corporate events and other industry-lead events.
- Provides overall quality control for a broad range of program-related communications and promotional products including key messages, website and social media content, e-communication, publications, video production, presentations and annual reports.
- Liaise with the Manager of Digital Communications to ensure close coordination for the programs’ digital and online needs.
Knowledge and Experience
- University degree in communications, journalism, public affairs or related discipline.
- Six years of progressively senior professional experience in communications program design and management, with two years at the management level including people and operational management roles.
- Experience in building and leading the deployment of a communications strategy for programming or funding entities.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the area of effective communications for anglophone and francophone audiences, including strategic communications planning, social media trends, writing, and document production typically acquired through a university degree in communications or a related field.
- Must be able to provide senior writing and counsel services in English and French and have demonstrated experience in developing and managing quality assurance processes and standards for English/French materials and content.
- Experience in developing and maintaining web-based communications (web sites, social media) for purposes of engaging members and external stakeholders, the media, the public and government.
- Knowledge of usability, search engine optimization, content strategy and marketing best practice.
- Strong project management, planning, finance and human resource management skills and experience.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and deliver results within tight deadlines.
- Experience working with municipal government and environmental issues an asset.
- Some domestic travel may be required for this role.
- The ability to work fluently in French and in English (both written and spoken) is required.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/ngojobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (application form – by choosing the ‘other’ and filling in the blank & in your cover letter) where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 24 Clarence Street Ottawa, Ontario
- Salary Offer 87,900 - $113,000 $ 87,900 - $113,000 Month