Closing Date: August 9, 2019
Organization: Right To Play International
Work location: Toronto, Canada
Authorized to work in: Canada (i.e. Canadian citizen or permanent resident)
Right To Play is a global organization that protects, educates and empowers children to rise above adversity using play. By harnessing play, one of the most powerful and fundamental forces in a child’s life, we help 2.3 million children to stay in school and out of work, to prevent life-threatening diseases like HIV and malaria and to stay safe from exploitation and abuse. We are the only global development organization focused exclusively on using play to transform the lives of children and youth impacted by poverty, war, disease and inequality.
Established in 2000, Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in 22 countries across North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
With a shared passion for our mission, our Culture Code guides how we act and interact based on five core pillars:
- Accept Everyone – Be intentional about inclusion
- Make Things Happen – Seek opportunities to lead and innovate
- Display Courage – Act with integrity
- Demonstrate Care – Look after yourself and one another Be Playful – Have fun at work
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Accountant, Accounts Payable is responsible for the daily, full cycle administration of the accounts payable function. The role requires an understanding of accounting principles and is responsible for ensuring that payables are accurately processed and reconciled. The Accountant, Accounts Payable reviews and processes a high volume of invoices ensuring compliance to all policies and guidelines, and is responsible for flagging/following-up on any overdue items.
Job responsibility #1: Invoice processing, reconciliation and filing (50%)
Vendors/Diners Credit Card Process
- Receives, reviews, and processes invoices, cheques request, and/or other related documentation for completeness and compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Verifies and processes vendor invoices. Performs calculations to determine appropriate payment, amounts, taxes etc. and makes modifications as necessary
- Processes cheques and mails or delivers payments to vendors on a weekly basis or as requested
- Posts transactions to the General Ledger on a daily basis
- Ensures up to date bank balance for CAD/USD accounts & sends it to Controller, Global daily
- Diners Club Credit Cards: Enters monthly statement as a General Ledger (G/L) batch to be used for accrual purposes
- Records and reviews each Diners transaction and uploads into accounts payable
- Applies accounts payable invoices to the payment
- Provides outstanding Diners list
- Processes monthly payments online for Diners CC and other bills, etc.
- Processes Journal Entries & submits to Finance Manager for approval
- Deposits weekly cheques, providing a copy of the deposit slip, updates bank balances
- Provides weekly cash received/deposited report for CAD/USD Donations to CFO/Controller, Global
- Processes Monthly Allocations
Reconciliation & Filing
- Reconciles the accounts payable sub ledger on monthly basis
- Reconciles vendor statements, makes phone calls and resolves discrepancies
- Files and reviews contracts, updates contract list, and assigns contract number Files paid invoices/wire transfers/credit card and other related documents
- Reconciles Diners credit card to the general ledger account on monthly basis
- Prepares Accounts Payable Reconciliation and revaluation on monthly basis
- Prepares accrual and prepaid reconciliation monthly
Job responsibility #2: Employee Expenses for Staff Located in Canada & UK (25%)
- Processes employee advances: cash requests (USD or CAD), money orders etc.
- Processes and reviews travel expenses, cash/credit card expenses and prepares journal entries
- Receives and reviews employee travel/cash/credit card expense reports. Performs calculations to determine appropriate amounts, accounts, project codes, taxes, currency etc.
- Prepares and enters Journal vouchers and/or Accounts Payable vouchers as needed into SAGE
- Informs staff of outstanding balances in Employee Advance Account
- Posts G/L batches into SAGE
- Prints and obtains signatures on cheques
Job responsibility #3: Wire Transfers & Electronic Fund Transfers (EFT) (15%)
- Wire transfers/EFT to Projects/Vendors/Expat salaries as & when required
- Creates and updates wire transfer templates through Scotia Bank website
- Processes wire transfers/EFT through Scotia Bank and requests exchange rates from Western Union and provides the list of wire transfers to be wired
- Provides list of total wire transfers/EFT and the differences in exchange rates
- Prepares/enters and posts wire transfer/EFT vouchers into SAGE
- Ensures sufficient funds for wire transfer/EFT
Job responsibility #4: Petty Cash Process (5%)
- Disbursements of funds and replenishment
- Ensures that the petty cash balance is up to date (USD/CAD, other currencies)
- Prepares and enters journal vouchers into SAGE
- Posts Accounts Payable and General Ledger batches into SAGE
Job responsibility #5: Other Responsibilities as Required (5%)
WHO YOU ARE:
You are excited to be a part of an organization that helps protect, educate and empower children to rise above adversity using play. You bring strong time management and organizational skills and have a keen attention to detail. You are comfortable working under pressure, within tight deadlines, and can handle multiple demands while still offering excellent service. You are self-motivated, able to work independently as well as part of a team, and you understand the importance of discretion and confidentiality within your role.
- Post-secondary education in Business, Accounting or Finance, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3 years of accounts payable experience
- Experience in handling the reconciliations of accounts payable, accruals and prepaid expenses
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Solid understanding of financial control policies/procedures
- Knowledge of SAGE/Microsoft Dynamics 365 accounting software
- Strong organizational skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent time and priority management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, handling multiple demands that are non-sequential
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently
- Ability to use discretion, and maintain confidentiality
- Fluency in oral and written English required
- Experience working within a non-profit organization an asset
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
The opportunity to work with a passionate, innovative and collaborative team where you have the ability to make things happen. You will gain experience working for a globally recognized organization with a healthy culture premised on our Culture Code (accept everyone, make things happen, display courage, demonstrate care and be playful). In addition, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Target Start Date: September 2019 Contract Duration: Full-time/Permanent
HOW TO APPLY:
- If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and kindly include “Accountant, Accounts Payable” and your name in the subject line. Please indicate your salary expectations in the cover letter.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both your e-mail and cover letter where you saw this posting (vacanciesincanada.ca).
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Right To Play provides equal employment opportunities to employees regardless of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. We offer a family-friendly environment that allows for flexible work arrangements in order to support staff diversity and ensure a healthy work-life balance.
We are a child-centered organization. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory police record check as a condition of employment.
Should you require any form of accommodation during the recruitment process, kindly contact the People & Culture team by email at [email protected].
- Address 18 King Street East, 14th Floor, Toronto ON Canada $ Month