Communications and Digital Director
1-year contract with good prospect of renewal, full time
Founded in 1939, Nature Canada’s mission is to protect and conserve nature in Canada by engaging people and advocating on behalf of nature. Our focus is to facilitate voices for nature on national issues including wilderness protection, threatened species and connecting people to nature.
Based out of our Ottawa office, the Communications and Digital Director oversees all aspects of Nature Canada’s communications and digital engagement work. The Director sits on the management team and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Director manages a small team of communications specialists working on earned media and digital engagement while working collaboratively with program and development staff to shape communications opportunities and content. This is a new position created because the organization is expanding and taking on more engagement and campaign activity.
This Moment in History
This is more than a job. Nature Canada has always been about the love of nature, but we are at a moment in history when the science is clearly telling us that we are undermining the conditions for life on Earth. We aim to be a part of reversing that trend and need a communications director who is able to help Nature Canada both convey clearly the crisis and contribute to building the collective agency to fix it. We know that’s not easy and are looking for a candidate who will bring all their creativity and passion to the challenge.
Job Description and Duties
- Working closely with all staff, shape and steward the overall tone of Nature Canada’s communications work, the look and feel of who we are;
- Engage in strategic planning to deliver an annual communications plan for the organization, including metrics for growth and engagement of people reached;
- Manage a small team of communications staff, including work planning and performance evaluation;
- Work with program and development staff on an ongoing basis to understand their goals, recommend communications opportunities, and deliver resulting products with your team;
- Work with your team to build relationships with journalists and ensure Nature Canada’s work is represented in earned media;
- Work with program staff and your team on digital engagement, including continuing to grow and engage Nature Canada’s digital list through petition work and stewarding supporters through a pyramid of engagement;
- Work with the development team on integrating fundraising into pyramid of engagement;
- Oversee Nature Canada’s website, blog, e-newsletter, social media pages, and occasional in-house video production;
- Engage in management team meetings and occasional Board meetings.
Summary of Qualification and Experience
The successful candidate will have some combination of the following:
- At least 10 years of experience in the communications field;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about communications – how it advances the longer-term goals of an organization;
- Direct experience with earned media, either pitching and securing stories or else working in media itself;
- Demonstrated skills with digital engagement, including petition work, social media, and stewarding supporters over time;
- A strong, clear writing style;
- Strong interest in nature/environmental issues;
- Bilingualism in both official languages is a strong asset.
The salary range for this position is $75,000-90,000/year, depending on experience, with a benefits package that kicks in after a 3-month probation period.
- To apply for this position, please send CV and a one-page cover letter describing your motivations for applying for this job to [email protected] with “Communications and Digital Director job application” in the subject line.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both your e-mail and cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this posting.
Deadline: open until filled.
No calls please. We thank all candidates for their interest, but we will only contact those selected for an interview.
- Address Suite 300, 240 Bank St., Ottawa, ON
- Salary Offer $75,000-90,000/ $ $75,000-90,000/ Month