|Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is the vibrant, local Christian development agency that is leading an infectious movement – going beyond meeting immediate needs by offering holistic programs and a pathway that can transform the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto from merely surviving to thriving.
We are seeking a dynamic, innovative and strategic Community Support Worker focused on social transformation through youth and families in Regent Park based on a community development framework. This strategy will help develop local leadership and ownership from within the community, sustain YSM’s existing relationships, and advance the organization’s mission of supporting high-need communities across the city. The successful candidate will work closely with the Community Capacity Builder building and implementing strategies in support of resident-led initiatives in the community.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Our Voice Out Loud (OVOL) initiative in Regent Park
- Working with Community Capacity Builder to equip youth to identify and build on their strengths to acquire new soft and hard skill sets
- Working with Community Capacity Builder to build the youth’s capacity to plan, organize, and implement projects and initiatives to build their leadership skills and combat bullying and victimization
- Outreach; connecting with local schools to recruit and promote OVOL
- Organizing and scheduling appointments with youth, internal staff and external stakeholders
- Planning meetings and taking detailed minutes
- Assisting in the preparation of scheduled reports for OVOL
- Providing general support to youth or community partners
- Reaching out and following up with potential and past participants of YSM supported community development initiatives.
- Submitting and retrieving financial requests
- Other administrative duties as required
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Experience as an administrative assistant, virtual assistant or office admin assistant
- Relevant experience in Social Services and/or Youth and Child Services or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with children and youth
- Strong desire and commitment to improve their community
- Proficiency in Microsoft office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Ability to work cross-culturally, in a manner that respects and promotes diversity
- Organized with the ability to multi-task, excellent time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effectively communicate in English
- Knowledge of community initiatives, groups and events
- A police check will be required / First aid training is an asset
- Demonstrated respect to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
This position is for 20 hours/week at a rate of $14 per hour. It is a 1-year contract with the possibility of renewal.