Under the direction of the Director of Strategy and Grants, you will be responsible for ensuring that our $1.7 million annual grants and internal program budget is dedicated to effective, innovative and well-managed projects. Specifically, you will be responsible for the following key activities:
Grant Program Design and Development: Co-develop The Atmospheric Fund’s (TAF) overall grant and internal allocation strategy in response to evolving strategic directions and key opportunity areas; monitor developments and trends in grant-making and synthesize lessons from TAF-funded projects to support continuous program improvement; and ensure that TAF’s grants program remains in compliance with the requirements of its primary funders.
Community Liaison: Promote TAF’s granting priorities across the GTHA; cultivate community partners whose projects show deep carbon emissions reduction potential and support the development of quality submissions; serve as an advisor to TAF-funded projects; share grant outcome learnings with TAF colleagues and the wider community; and facilitate collaboration with other funders to leverage our granting resources.
Application Intake, Approval and Tracking: Manage the grant application, intake and approval processes, leveraging the expertise of TAF colleagues where appropriate; liaise with managers of our internal projects regarding their funding requests and reports; and maintain detailed progress files on all projects in TAF’s database.
Grant Program Management and Reporting: Draft and negotiate grant contribution agreements for Board-approved grants; review grantee reports to assess progress towards project deliverables; implement strong processes and procedures to promote effective administration of the grants program; and ensure the smooth functioning of TAF’s volunteer advisory committee of senior leaders, including implementation of their funding recommendations and overall grant program recommendations.
Do you have this background?
- Post-secondary education in environmental studies, applied sciences, public policy or a similar discipline.
- At least three years’ experience managing a complex, multi-year program or project, including planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Strong working knowledge of (and lots of passion for) urban climate solutions and concepts including technical, policy and behaviour change approaches.
- Proven relationship management experience with a wide variety of community stakeholders.
- Financial and analytical acumen and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with confidence in public speaking to a wide range of audiences.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to exercise mature judgement, initiative, diplomacy and tact.
- Aptitude for learning new concepts and processes.
- Ability to manage uncertainty, adapt to quickly changing circumstances and pursue new opportunities and new directions as needed.
- Familiarity with social innovation approaches (e.g., partnership brokering, design thinking, developmental evaluation) and how to apply them for the purposes of improving outcomes.
- Advanced working knowledge with Microsoft Office Suite (database/CRM experience an asset).
TAF is a regional climate agency that invests in low-carbon solutions in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) and helps scale them up for broad implementation. We are experienced leaders and we collaborate with stakeholders in the private, public and non-profit sectors who have ideas and opportunities for reducing carbon emissions. Supported by endowment funds, we advance the most promising concepts by investing, providing grants, influencing policies and running programs. We’re particularly interested in ideas that offer benefits in addition to carbon reduction such as improving people’s health, creating local jobs, boosting urban resiliency, and contributing to a fair society.
Working at TAF
Talk to our staff and they will tell you that working at TAF comes with amazing advantages. We’re on the leading-edge of urban climate change solutions and our work makes a tangible difference. We build meaningful relationships with all kinds of stakeholders – from world-class thought leaders to the people who implement change on the ground. Our dedicated team fosters healthy collaboration and learning. And as part of a small and effective organization, we each see the value and impact of our work.
We Welcome Your Application
- Submit your resume and a short cover letter explaining how your experience suits this opportunity, combined as a single PDF document (max 3 pages total) by 5pm on Monday, September 23, 2019, to [email protected]. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank everyone who applies.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both your e-mail and cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this posting.
Committed to employment equity, TAF encourages applications from Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and other equity-seeking groups.
- Address 75 Elizabeth Street Toronto, ON
- Salary Offer $60,000 - 70,000 $ $60,000 - 70,000 Month