Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Telemedicine Managers, Head of (E)Learning Services, leads for MSF-Canada supported Transformational Investment Capacity projects
Position status: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week; the term of the posting is approximately 6 months
Start date: ASAP
Salary: Level F on the MSF-Canada salary grid, starting salary $96,694
MSF-Canada maintains a ‘movement-wide orientation’ (MWO) and engages with the five MSF operational centres (OCs) in multiple ways based on the value-added to MSF’s social mission. The Director of Programs (DP) shapes, guides and manages several of MSF Canada’s most directly operational contributions to the OCs and the wider MSF movement. The scope of activities within the Programs Department has expanded significantly in recent years and includes a diverse range of impactful activities including: providing cutting edge telemedicine support to MSF field operations; building staff capacity throughout the organization through tailored learning modules; contributing proactively and reactively to operational advocacy on themes such as access to essential medicines and migration; managing relations with the Canadian government for advocacy and fundraising purposes, and; managing MSF-Canada-sponsored Transformational Investment Capacity projects.
MSF-Canada is seeking – for an interim period of approximately 6 months – a dynamic operations-oriented leader to direct its diverse, growing and high-impact Programs Department. The interim DP (Director of Programs) provides strategic direction to the Department while ensuring sound management of each activity area. The interim DP is responsible for ensuring the highest quality, impact and relevance of each activity area, on the basis of MSF-Canada’s Strategic and Annual plans.
The interim DP will help maintain our network in Canadian society in order to further the objectives of the Department and MSF-Canada more broadly. The interim DP also maintains ties with operational staff in the five MSF operational centers as well as with advocacy and humanitarian affairs representatives of other partner sections. The interim DP also works closely with the other department heads in MSF Canada including Communications, Fundraising, HR, Finance, ICT while engaging closely with and reporting to the Executive Director. As a member of the Management Team, the interim DP contributes to the overall management and effectiveness of MSF Canada.
The overall objective of the position is to ensure that the Programs Department provides the most relevant, highest quality and highest impact contributions to MSF operations globally. The interim DP will do this by:
- Managing the activity area leads toward maximizing each area’s potential
- Providing inspirational and visionary leadership to the department and to MSF-Canada
- Providing internal thought leadership by sparking and contributing to internal debates – domestically and internationally as well as through the executive and associative parts of the organization – related to operational challenges and dilemmas
- Providing external thought leadership by shaping and delivering MSF-Canada’s advocacy messages in line with operational objectives
Benefits include 100% coverage on Health plan, Life Insurance, RRSP contributions, Long-term / Short-term Disability, starting 4 weeks’ Vacation/year, Flexible work hours, Relocation packages, Professional Development budget, Employee Assistance Program, and a positive and innovative office culture grounded in our core values of humanity, integrity and results.
Education and experience
- University Degree in humanitarian management, international relations or related field
- Extensive experience in the humanitarian sector with minimum 3 years of field experience. MSF experience is preferred given the interim nature of the post.
- Experience in leadership positions with international organization(s)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of humanitarian issues and world affairs
- Advocacy experience preferred
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION:
- To apply, please follow this link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/ngojobs
- If you wish to apply for this position, please specify (on the application form and in your motivation letter) that you saw it on vacanciesincanada.ca
Please be sure to include three (3) references and a letter of motivation as a part of your application.
The deadline for applications is Monday September 16th, 9am EST, (NEW!)
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
We thank you for your interest; please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF Canada is a people-focused humanitarian organization that is proud to offer a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We strongly believe this approach enhances our work and we’re committed to equity in employment. The organization seeks to attract and engage the best professionals to join and maintain meaningful, productive and lasting work relationships. We embrace diverse motivations and backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-seeking groups such as (but not limited to): Indigenous peoples, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, or women.
Note: Applicants who have questions regarding accommodation and accessibility can send questions/concerns to Phone: 1-800-982-7903 ext: 3454.
- Address 551 Adelaide St W, Toronto, ON $ Month