Medical Office Assistant, Primary Health Care
Contract Position: 35 hours a week
Contract Duration: September 2019 to March 2020 (approx. 6 months)
Salary Range: $20.88 per hour to $25.00 per hour
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that
provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person’s health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor and working as part of the Primary Health Care (PHC) team, the Medical Office Assistant (MOA) provides reception and administrative support to the PHC Program.
The MOA is the common link between the client and the provider. They display courteous and caring mannerisms while registering clients, managing the appointment schedule and referrals, and are involved in administrative aspects of the program.
The MOA ensures that all organizational policies are followed.
- Greet individuals at reception in a courteous and professional manner.
- Answer/transfer incoming phone calls; make outgoing calls as needed; take messages; check messages in inbox; and respond accordingly in a courteous, professional and timely manner.
- Register new clients, which includes assisting with filling out registration forms and de-roster clients as needed.
- Book client appointments for PHC team and internal specialist services; confirm new client appointments the day prior to the visit; and share the responsibility of calling clients for follow-up appointments as directed by the providers or client recall system. (A designated MOA at the LK site handles the Psychiatry bookings for both LK and EM sites.)
- Arrange referrals for external specialists (e.g. ENT, Rheumatologist, Dermatologist etc.), contact client with appointment details and send confirmation letters.
- Receive urgent messages and direct information and/or chart to appropriate provider for timely follow-up.
- Arrange for translation/interpretation services as required.
- Support and process Tickler in the client recall system in the clinic’s Electronic Medical Record.
- Scan and file test results and correspondence in a timely manner.
- Book home visits make arrangements with the support worker/family member, etc. if needed; and confirm appointment the day prior to the visit.
- Receive and process medication refills from pharmacists, place in provider mailbox for signature and fax back to pharmacy.
- Prepare requisitions and labels for lab technicians in advance and for unscheduled clients as they arrive.
- Spin the blood using the centrifuge and prepare all specimen samples; label and prepare for lab pick-up twice daily.
- Monitor the temperature of the vaccine fridge, recording the data twice daily (only as a backup to the RPN).
- Transfer medical records to doctor’s offices, insurance companies and law offices as required.
- Collect money from contraceptive sales; document and provide receipt to client. Count money and give to Clinic Supervisor every 24-48 hours.
- Process electronic and paper documentation; filing, scanning and faxing.
- Sort, date-stamp and distribute incoming mail and faxes and collect and post outgoing mail, photocopy and type general correspondence.
- Know and share LAMP resources with all clients.
- Change/order toner for the machines and refill paper as needed
- Clean/sanitize the reception area, waiting room and personal desk space and record it in log book.
- Participate in team and LAMP all staff meetings regularly.
- Provide coverage for other MOA team members when they are absent and contribute to overall team functioning by assisting where needed.
- Medical Office Administration Diploma from a recognized institution or equivalent.
- Two to three years of experience in a community health setting.
- Understand privacy legislations, medical and health care system, diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of health care coverage programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively across all levels of the organization’s diverse workforce.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
- Typing speed of 45 WPM.
- Great attention to detail with the ability to work under pressure, account for results, and meet challenging deadlines with the ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Professional and empathetic.
- Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
- Knowledge of LAMP Community Health Centre (CHC) and the South Etobicoke region as well as a second language that is reflective of the community being served are all preferable assets.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Excellent working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Advanced skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook & Excel).
- Advanced skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Experience and accuracy using database applications (i.e. Electronic Health Records – Nightingale/Oscar).
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- The hours of work include days and evenings.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, work under pressure and be able to make sound decisions within their scope.
- Must also be able to display great understanding and patience when working with all clients, including those who may present challenges.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice.
- There is an expectation for all employees to participate in two events per year for the agency; these events may be during the evening or on a weekend.
- Frequent data entry, with extended periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- Occasional standing for extended periods of time and some occasional lifting may be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
- Ensures that staff and clients are compliant with LAMP’s Health & Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures, including the immediate reporting of any breaches of Health & Safety or Environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to their respective manager/supervisor and/or the Director, Human Resources & Operations.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
- Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Email Address: [email protected]
Subject: Job Opening for Medical Office Assistant, Primary Healthcare (Contract)
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify in both your email and cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you discovered this posting.
External Deadline: 5:00 pm on Monday September 23, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls please.
- Address 185 Fifth St Etobicoke, ON
- Salary Offer $20.88 per hour to $25.00 per hour $ $20.88 per hour to $25.00 per hour Month