Organization: Plan International Canada
Reports to: Director, Talent & Culture
Location: Toronto preferred (with up to 10% travel annually)
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Contact level: B
What can you expect from joining a leading organization in the global movement to advance children’s rights and equality for girls?
An inspiring team of intelligent disruptors that challenges themselves to Defy Normal – to be bold, insightful, focused and innovative.
We are one of Canada’s Most Admired Cultures and here’s why: together, we have created a climate of trust and inclusivity – where diversity in people, ideas and approaches is not only respected, it’s encouraged. We are empowered to command change and build powerful partnerships, with support from passionate leaders to unleash our full potential and learn, lead, decide and thrive.
Further information can be found at: plancanada.ca
The Senior Manager, Safety & Security is Plan International Canada’s lead on all safety and security matters, and ultimately works to support a positive and relevant security culture. You will be responsible for the development and management of safety and security operational procedures and associated logistical planning, financial accountability and risk analysis for Plan International Canada staff in coordination with our Global Hub (international headquarters) and in line with our Security and Safeguarding policy. You will work closely with our focal point for Children and Youth Safeguarding. This role will also be responsible for all health and safety matters in accordance with Plan International Canada’s obligations under the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and work with other members of the Talent & Culture Team to ensure compliance with legislation.
- Act as principal advisor on all safety and security related issues
- Enhance feedback and reporting mechanism for security incidents and ensure staff awareness of these mechanisms
- Work with Legal and Safeguarding experts at Plan International to ensure compliance with Global and local security policies as well as safety and security legislation
- Provide operational advice, services and support as to managers and staff in preparation for, and response to, travel related risks, including direct security and insurance support.
- Collaborate with Global Hub as well as other Country and National Offices to develop and implement joint policies, procedures and guidelines to support the Global Travel, Safety and Security Framework
- Build a strong network of safety and security contacts across the globe and establish best practices in Security Management at the Canadian National Office (CNO)
- Coordinate the development and delivery of Plan International Canada’s global security training programs for relevant staff (e.g. HEAT and BSAFE), and identify other training opportunities to enhance safety and security awareness
- Develop and ensure the effective communication and functioning of emergency response protocols and security incident reporting and incorporation of lessons learned
- Develop emergency management and crisis management protocols for the CNO in accordance with CNO and Global Hub policies and procedures
- Promote a common understanding of travel security and risk management as an essential element underpinning Plan International Canada’s programmatic work
- Oversee the identification, selection and management of third-party vendors
- Create an annual travel and security plan and support management of the associated budget
What does success look like?
- Security policies and procedures are effectively communicated to staff
- Guidelines and operating standards are monitored with sound advice and timely delivery for travel, security and other associated risk-related matters
- There is a tangible sense of a robust culture of security and safeguarding in place across the organization as demonstrated by the approach to travel, security and risk issues by all relevant teams
- Staff receive effective advice and training on travel, security and other associated risk-related matters that are relevant to Plan International Canada’s work
- Managers, staff and key external stakeholders have trust and confidence in the travel and security processes and are able to contribute to and implement security plans
- Leadership is confident that their commitment towards ensuring staff security is being fulfilled
- CNO collaborates with a robust and effective network of security focal points across the Plan International global network that are controlling risks and implementing established policies and procedures
- There is a solid understanding of risk associated with travel and strong analysis of reported incidents that inform risk mitigation plans
As our ideal candidate you will have:
- Extensive travel and security project management experience, ideally in multiple countries with varied risk profiles and a culturally diverse stakeholder community in the context of international non-governmental organizations (INGO) or inter-governmental agency operations
- Degree or professional training in Security Management or a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Strong understanding of an organization’s duty of care requirements and how this integrates with health and safety legislation and organizational needs in the global context
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English including experience of writing and reviewing travel and security policies, procedures and plans
- A high level of resilience and drive, able to be flexible, adapt to ambiguity and change as required, choose a course of action and develop appropriate solutions
- Customer-centric approach, responsive and ability to provide leadership and support for travel and security related emergencies
- A passion for mission driven work and personal values aligned with those of Plan International Canada’s organizational values.
How to apply:
- To express interest in this exciting opportunity to join a dynamic organization and a high performing team please forward your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by December 8, 2019. Please reference Senior Manager, Safety & Security in the subject line.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
Plan International Canada is an inclusive workplace, and is committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Consistent with our Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including the vulnerable sector screen.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada for the duration of the work term. Proof of eligibility will be required.
Plan International Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Thank you for your interest in a career at Plan International Canada!
- Address 245 Eglinton Ave East Suite 300 Toronto, Ontario $ Month