Internal/External Posting Notice
Department: Policy and Campaigns
Status: Full time, 4-month contract
Immediate Supervisor: Manager, Policy
Deadline to apply: October 2, 2020
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Manager of Policy, the Policy Advisor – Gender and Climate is responsible for developing policy and advocacy strategies in support of raising Oxfam Canada’s recognition as a thought leader on gender and climate. The Policy Specialist has a proven track record working on climate change related research, policy and advocacy, with expertise and commitment to advancing women’s rights and gender equality.
The Policy Advisor, Gender and Climate will work with Oxfam stakeholders — supporters, partner organizations and allies, as well as communications, campaigns, and long-term development and humanitarian assistance staff, to develop initiatives that advance Oxfam policy in Canada and as part of the global policy and advocacy work of Oxfam International.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
- Develop and execute impactful policy and advocacy strategieson gender and climate.
- Convene, implement and facilitate policy and advocacy initiatives drawing on issue experts from different departments in Oxfam Canada,the larger Oxfam confederation and partners.
- Act as an internal subject matter expert on gender and climate.
- Produce high quality policy and advocacy products (policy briefs, reports, op-eds, etc.).
- Provide strategic advice to the senior management team and board of Oxfam Canada on policy and advocacy issues in relation to gender and climate.
- Lead the development of Oxfam Canada’s strategic direction on gender and climate.
- Support the development and design of advocacy, humanitarian and development initiatives on gender and climate.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Master’s degree in relevant field of study (such as Political Science, Gender/Women’s Studies, Environmental Science) or equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum of five years of related work experience with a minimum of three years in a comparable policy/advocacy position.
- Demonstrated experience in research and strong writing skills for policy developmentand advocacy materials, conveying complex ideas in plain language.
- Experience with policy advocacy initiatives, including those focused on women’s rights/gender equality and climate change.
- Strong knowledge of the Canadian policy landscape and opportunities for influence.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s mission and strategic focus on women’s rights and gender justice.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a cross-cultural environment based on feminist principles.
- Capacity to take direction, work in a self-directed manner and exceptional skills working within a team setting.
- Capacity to work in English. French and Spanish are strong assets.
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/medajobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 39 McArthur Ave., Ottawa, ON $ Month