Internal/External Posting Notice
Title: Program Compliance Officer
Department: Finance & Operations
Status: Full-time, unionized
Location: Ottawa, ON
Immediate Supervisor: Manager, Program Compliance
Salary: $61,764 – $81,277
Level: Band 2
Application Deadline: July 7, 2020
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Manager, Program Compliance, the Program Compliance Officer will be responsible for supporting the development of and overseeing Oxfam Canada’s compliance framework for its international programs.
As a member of the Compliance Unit, the Program Compliance Officer will work with the Manager, Program Compliance in ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures, with donor and regulatory requirements, and applicable statutory requirements. They will work with key stakeholders to ensure programmatic, financial, operational and grant management processes meet requirements and that any gaps or weaknesses are identified and improved, and that best practices are adopted. This includes, conducting regular testing and periodic internal reviews of international projects to ensure procedures are followed, and identifying, reporting and following up on identified compliance issues.
The Program Compliance Officer will support the implementation of the compliance framework, and engage in Oxfam International and sector processes in Canada on compliance standards.
Under the direction of the Manager, Program Compliance, the Program Compliance Officer will work collaboratively with Oxfam Canada’s International Programs and Finance & Operations departments, and regularly engage staff of Oxfam Country Offices and local implementing partners through field visits.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
Support development and maintenance of the Compliance Architecture (15%):
- Contribute to the development of program compliance policies, procedures, risk assessment and incident reporting processes at Oxfam Canada;
- Support Manager in the review and development of resources to help all units within the International Programs department manage compliance with all Oxfam Canada-led projects;
- Assist with the review and harmonization of existing tools, updating and standardizing as necessary;
- Review contribution agreements, from a program compliance perspective, providing recommendations to support mitigating program compliance risk;
- Provide support to Financial Capacity Building Assessments to ensure coordination with project teams, Global Affairs Canada and third party consultants to minimize program compliance risk;
- Review internal reviews/audits conducted by other Oxfam entities, along with partner capacity assessments, in order to support compliance risk assessments, recommend control improvements, and other compliance activities;
- Act as a point of contact for questions/clarification on CRA and GAC rules pertaining to program compliance.
Field Monitoring Visits (30%):
- Conduct regular compliance or audit visits of country and partner offices for compliance testing and capacity development;
- Complete field visits to all major project field offices according to an approved schedule;
- Support with coordination, planning and administration of all compliance activities within Oxfam Canada, at the affiliate/country office or Confederation level;
- Carryout all relevant audit procedures;
- Travel to partner organization offices to document and evaluate controls;
- Draft reports with recommendations for field office use;
- Prepare internal reports on findings to be presented to the Manager, Program Compliance, and included in appropriate reporting to Oxfam Canada’s management members.
Compliance monitoring (35%):
- Complete periodic testing remotely from Oxfam Canada’s offices based on the program compliance risk assessment framework;
- Prepare findings report with recommendations for field office sign off and reporting to Manager, Program Compliance;
- Debrief the Manager, Compliance, and other relevant members of Oxfam Canada Management teams, on the results of the periodic testing;
- Support Manager in the updating of the Program Compliance Risks Assessment and work planning process.
Compliance Information Systems (15%);
- Support the development of any compliance information systems at Oxfam Canada
- Manage and update information on Oxfam systems;
- Support system improvement and design, update tools, databases and processes.
- Liaise with auditors as required;
- Help to maintain compliance documentation in various accessible formats.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- A university degree in a related field (Accounting or Finance) or equivalent;
- Minimum 5 years of finance, risk management and/or compliance experience in the non-profit/non-governmental sector, preferably with an international development or humanitarian agency organization;
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience working on program compliance and compliance issues;
- Understanding and experience with policies, practices and compliance requirements of a range of donor and regulatory bodies, especially Global Affairs Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency;
- International experience, preferably within a compliance, field monitoring or audit setting;
- Understanding of internal controls, proper accounting procedures, and best practices;
- Must be a self-starter who is detailed-oriented and possesses sound judgment;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments to support efficient, effective and proactive compliance support;
- Experience working internationally, preferably in a global organization, with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- The ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy; multi-task in a fast-paced environment; and maintain confidentiality;
- Excellent English written and oral communication, organizational skills;
- High level of integrity and ethics;
- Highly developed judgement and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Advanced skills in MS Office and various digital tracking systems;
- Ability to travel internationally up to 35% of the time to fragile states;
- Commitment to global justice, women’s rights, gender equality and social change;
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
- Professional internationally recognized accounting/ internal audit and/or fraud designation such as CA, CPA, CIA, CFE or CMA is an asset;
- Working knowledge of Spanish and French highly desirable.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/ngojobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 39 McArthur Avenue Ottawa, ON, K1L 8L7
- Salary Offer $61,764 - $81,277 $ $61,764 - $81,277 Month