Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a Sr. Vice President Global Programs to join our Executive Leadership Team.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
For over 65 years, MEDA, an international economic development organization, has been creating business solutions to poverty that are sustainable, scalable, measurable and replicable. We’re passionate about helping entrepreneurs in developing countries build stronger businesses and more prosperous lives. We work with clients and local partners to create lasting and sustainable solutions to poverty. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission: www.meda.org
MEDA has worked in over 70 countries and brings a unique market systems approach to project design that integrates technical assistance and access to capital. As an early leader in blended finance, MEDA leverages public and private funding to advance social enterprises around the world that are positively impacting social, environmental and governance challenges in their communities.
During the global pandemic that is redefining our world and work, MEDA believes that we have the unique opportunity to learn from the issues and opportunities that the virus has presented or accelerated, such as food insecurity, impacts of climate change, and gender inequalities. This is a time for global transformation – a time when priorities are redefined. MEDA has a new strategic direction that we believe will allow us to build back better after this pandemic. Will you join our team in these efforts?
SR VICE PRESIDENT GLOBAL PROGRAMS – SUMMARY
MEDA is looking for an innovative, strategic, and collaborative Sr. Vice President to lead our Global Programs Division in the implementation of our mission and impact driven strategic plan.
- Do you have a desire to drive impact and scale in international economic development?
- Are you a visionary and effective leader with a mindset of continuous improvement?
- Do you want to lead a global programs team in building partnerships, localizing development initiatives, and shaping the future of MEDA’s business solutions to poverty?
*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Posting will remain open until position is filled*
- Job Status: Full-time, permanent
- Start Date: November 2020
- Location: MEDA Headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario is preferred. Other locations may be considered for highly qualified candidates
- Education: Master’s or higher degree in Development economics, Agricultural economics, Agribusiness, Development Finance or a field closely related to MEDA’s work.
- Experience: At least seven years’ management experience at an executive level in International Development or a related field; at least ten years’ international work experience in agricultural development, rural innovation or a related field.
The Sr. Vice President Global Programs serves as a key member of MEDA’s executive leadership team and is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Global Programs department, which oversees the acquisition and implementation of all programs and projects around the world that contribute to MEDA achieving its strategic impact goal.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the SVP Global Programs brings knowledge and experience of the rapidly evolving international development landscape, forges effective partnerships with private and public sector and other relevant stake holders to design and deliver high quality programs. The SVP leads the business development and proposal writing team, collaborating with other departments and partners to ensure success and diversification of MEDA’s institutional funding base.
The SVP Global Programs will contribute innovative & visionary strategic leadership, a passion to drive impact & scale, deep program expertise, lived experience in developing countries, a mindset of continuous enhancement of systems, processes, and staff, and commitment to embrace a new and evolving organizational identity to shape the future of MEDA’s mission of creating business solutions to poverty.
STRATEGY AND PLANNING (20%)
Leads and ensures partnerships, programs and projects developed are aligned to MEDA’s strategic direction
- Recommends and implements strategies and tactics to operationalize MEDA’s strategic direction
- Actively lead change and implementation of innovation focused projects and programs to enhance scaling of MEDA’s interventions and deliver impact through high quality, efficient and effective programs.
- Support our work for continued transformation, including agility for supporting local partners, promotion of local and regional leadership within our country offices, and new models of operating .
- Given the central role of MEDA’s international operations to the entire organization, work across divisions and departments to break down silos and to assure integration of international operations
- Maximize outcomes and opportunities for adaptation and adoption by other organizations, communities and governments
LEADERSHIP, MANAGEMENT AND COORDINATION (20%)
Set a clear vision for the Global Programs division to deliver programs and projects in an outcomes-driven, cost-effective, and evidence-based manner that is responsive to the local context, meets the needs of our key stakeholders and our performance targets, and is in alignment with MEDA’s goals and strategic direction
- Foster a spirit of collaboration and improvement so that all MEDA program staff are empowered to contribute fully to the organization and the enhancement of systems and processes
- Responsible for the effective management and delivery of partnership agreements and contracts, and ensuring the maintenance of effective cooperation and good relations with funders, partners and stakeholders.
- Ensure MEDA programs are working towards its strategic impact goal through achieving fundraising goals, budgets executed responsibly, and appropriate modifications are approved
- Oversee internal reporting on all MEDA programs’ activities, ensuring the ELT and other relevant internal stakeholders have key information for decision-making and communicating to staff, the Board, and external stakeholders
- In consultation with People & Culture and other relevant departments, ensure country projects have the staffing and expertise required to successfully implement project’s MEDA is contracted to deliver and systems are in place for recruitment, hiring, orientation, performance, management, terminations at the country office / project based level
STAFF MANAGEMENT (10%)
- Lead and manage regional directors and any other direct reports; ensuring acquisition, retention and development of a strong team
- Performance of staff management and leadership functions as applicable according to MEDA policies, procedures and values
- Contribute to a healthy culture and work environment for staff team
DEVELOPMENT, COMMUNICATION, AND EXTERNAL REPRESENTATION (15%)
Build effective relationships with key stakeholders in host country governments, partner organizations, and donor agencies, as appropriate to design and deliver effective partnerships and programs
- Evaluate and recommend opportunities to the ELT for partnerships with other international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) and bilateral or multilateral prime contractors and make recommendations to the Management Team that help inform Go/No-Go decisions in accordance with organizationally approved policies, accountabilities and signing authorities
- Stay informed about research and trends in international economic development and recommend appropriate program implementation enhancements
- Network, and assist the team to network, with other peer non-profits or organizations that serve as partners to build relationships and identify potential opportunities
- C ollaborate with Marketing and Development to create strategies to increase program and project fundraising, and ensure information-sharing across Programs and Marketing & Development necessary for fundraising efforts from private donors
LEAD BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND DONOR RELATIONS FOR NEW OPPORTUNITIES WITH THE GOAL OF MAXIMIZING MEDA’S IMPACT (15%)
Oversee concept development for new program products, partnerships, and initiatives, that will support and contribute to the achievement of MEDA’s strategic direction
- In line with MEDA’s strategic direction, lead global business development efforts to identify or create new program growth opportunities in partnership with the regional business development teams and the Innovation and Impact team
EXECUTIVE FUNCTION (20%)
Participate as a member of the MEDA Executive Leadership Team (ELT) providing advice and counsel on organizational issues.
- Contribute to and support the development of MEDA’s overall strategic direction and Annual Review and Plan of Operations
- Provide leadership, strategy and management of the entire Global Programs Division
- Collaborate with the ELT and department managers to establish annual budgets for division and departments
- Ensure staff performance management, development and engagement for division and departments
- Engage with the MEDA board and individual Board Members as required
- Serve as staff liaison for board committees as required
- Build MEDA’s profile and visibility through external and MEDA events, with supporters, institutional funders and a wide range of stakeholders in the countries and regions where MEDA works.
- Represent MEDA on Boards of investee companies and associated organizations as appropriate
- Participate as a member on the Crisis Management Team and Security Management Team as required
- Model integrity and support MEDA’s faith heritage, mission, vision and values
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both domestically and internationally to developing countries – 50-70 days a year
- Experience in supporting entrepreneurial/small business agri-development in rural areas
- Knowledge of international economic development, including value chain development
- Skilled in senior management and operational practices
- Written and verbal presentation skills
- Ability to think critically and strategically while negotiating
- Leadership and team building
- Decision-making and judgment
- Critical analysis and strategic thinking
- Written and verbal presentation
- Interpersonal communication
- Cross-cultural communication
- Negotiation skills
- Highly motivated, self-starter and results-oriented
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 22, 2020 @ 4:00 pm EST.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/medajobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.
- Address 595 Parkside Dr Suite 2, Waterloo, ON $ Month