Internship & Fields Studies Office (Africa Field Study Semester)
Under the direction of the AFSS Director, the student liaison contributes to the management of effective communication between students and staff/instructors, and works to keep these informed of new events, rule changes, and situations needing attention as they arise.
- Assist in the establishment and support of student governance committees and provide appropriate training
- Assist students in the areas of community building, leadership, management, problem-solving, critical thinking, cross-cultural issues, conflict resolution, team building, and group skills
- Counsel students on their program-related and personal needs and assist in academic activities
- Facilitate communication within the student group and between staff and students
- Monitor and address individual student and group attitudes and behavior
- Advise Director and/or Deputy Director and/or Faculty informed of potential problems
- Raise issues of indiscipline to the program management
- Assist in special student events
- Assist with student preparations for travel via email communications and participate in the preparatory session in early December
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities
Ability to work as a team member and independently. Be adaptable to varied work conditions and demand. Commitment to envronmental issues and principles of sustainable development. Willingness to work flexible hours and travel to East Africa. Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field. Students with graduate experience and previous experience in the CFSIA program an asset. Outdoor, experiential and/or field education experience. Experience managing student groups. Skills in group facilitation, team building, conflict resolution, outdoor leadership, risk management. Experience living or working in a developing country. Clean driving record.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree 1 Year Related Experience with Bachelor’s Degree / DEC III 3 Years Related Experience with DEC III
(MPEX Grade 03) $51,190.00 – $76,770.00
Hours per Week:
11 (Part time)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.