Mathematics and Statistics
Course Title and Course Number:
Applied Regression – MATH 423 (Fall 2021; Sept.-Dec.)
Total Hours of Work per Term:
*NOTE – Current McGill TAs: apply internally through your existing Workday profile. Students who currently do not hold a TAship or do not have a profile in Workday: use a personal email address when creating your external applicant profile through the Careers website (do not use your mcgill email)*
Each Teaching Assistant will be responsible for a tutorial group. This will entail:
- Giving tutorials. These involve the formal presentation of carefully prepared illustrative examples worked at the blackboard. Students should be given ample chance to ask questions. Some time may be spent on more informal classroom activities – helping individual students as they work individually or in groups.
- At least two regularly scheduled office hours per week – the times to be announced at the first tutorial.
- Marking of assignments of the tutorial group.
- Invigilation of the midterm at the scheduled time.
- Team marking of the midterm and final examination under the close supervision of the Faculty teaching the course (who will also set the examinations). Final examinations must NEVER be handed back to students.
- Maintenance of the complete mark record for the tutorial group. A teaching assistant may be assigned a coordinating or supervisory role in the marking process.
- Teaching assistants may also be asked to cooperate in preparing solution sheets to assignments. They may be asked to set and mark occasional short “surprise tests” which can be used to encourage regular attendance.
- Honours Degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Applied Mathematics, with high standing.
- McGill student in a graduate program.
Please note that given the planned resumption of most in-person teaching activities in the Fall, Teaching Assistants will be required on campus to perform their tasks in person. Should government restrictions prohibit the resumption of in-person teaching activities, courses will revert to remote teaching. In the event of such a change, Teaching Assistants will be advised as soon as possible. Teaching Assistants may be required to perform tasks suited to a remote/online teaching environment using a virtual learning platform [e.g., Zoom, WebEx] and the McGill myCourses learning management system.
**If hired, you must sign the AGSEM membership form (see attached), and email it to [email protected] **
Position Start Date:
Position End Date:
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.