IISD Experimental Lakes Area Inc. (IISD-ELA) is an environmental research facility located east of Kenora, Ontario, and west of Vermillion Bay, Ontario, Canada. Access to the facility is via a 30-km restricted access gravel road off Highway 17. The Facilities Maintenance Technician will live on site to support the operations and maintenance of infrastructure and the access road. The IISD-ELA camp can accommodate up to 60 people living on site. Room and board are provided to all staff and visitors.
IISD-ELA is one of the world’s most influential freshwater research facilities. It features a collection of 58 small lakes and their watersheds in northwestern Ontario, Canada. For over 50 years, scientists at IISD-ELA have conducted whole-ecosystem experiments and made significant scientific discoveries related to issues such as acid rain, mercury from air pollution, algal blooms and pharmaceutical chemicals in water. The facility is operated by the International Institute for Sustainable Development—an independent think tank headquartered in Winnipeg.
The Facilities Maintenance Technician is based full time at the IISD-ELA site. The Facilities Maintenance Technician works closely with the Facilities Manager to ensure that the IISD-ELA facility is operational and to provide security for the site and the personnel. They are responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the facility infrastructure, equipment (including boats, motors, snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles [ATVs]) and the access road. They also assist with the collection of data from the meteorological station and other research projects as required.
The Facilities Maintenance Technician works under the direction of the Facilities Manager but is expected to assume the roles and responsibilities of the Facilities Manager whenever this person is off-site.
- Provide technical services for the maintenance, repair, procurement and life-cycle management of the infrastructure and mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and security systems and equipment required to support the facility.
- Perform regular maintenance on and monitoring of the fuel and propane storage facilities, as well as recording and reporting fuel usage and making fuel orders as required.
- Perform troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, general repairs and upgrades of equipment, operate automated building control systems, design or make modifications to scientific apparatus as required.
- Responsible for trash removal, maintenance of utilities including HVAC, structural/roof, roads/grounds, water supply, power supply and plumbing.
- Provide year-round maintenance of field equipment (outboard motors, boats, ATVs, snowmobiles) and off-site facilities (trails, boat landings and docks).
- Perform year-round maintenance on the access roads, including winter plowing, washout repair, ditching, brushing, culvert replacement and ongoing damage control (blockages, washouts, beaver dam control, etc.).
- In coordination with the Facilities Manager and Operations Manager, ensure compliance of the IISD-ELA facility with federal, provincial and municipal regulatory requirements.
- Assist with keeping hard copy and digital records for reporting purposes, including maintenance of ultraviolet lamps for water treatment, volume of water pumped to facility, hours of operation of sewage lift station pumps, HWIN manifests, commercial vehicle registration (CVOR), aggregate pit usage and other reporting streams as required.
- Assist with the collection of data from the IISD-ELA Meteorological Facility and other research projects as required.
- Supervise staff and contractors as required.
Other duties as assigned.
General maintenance skills are necessary for this position. Any of the following skills would be considered an asset for this position:
- Mechanical maintenance
- Heavy equipment operator
- Electrical maintenance
- Plumbing and pipefitting
Additional interest in the overall research plan of IISD-ELA is an asset. Experience working and living in a remote facility is also beneficial to this position. Applicants should highlight any training certificates and trades tickets in their application such as heavy equipment operator, fall arrest training, chainsaw certification, ATV operator, etc.
IISD-ELA shall provide on-site living accommodation and food. Accommodations typically include a private bedroom and shared washrooms and lounge areas. Bedding linen and laundry facilities are also provided on site. Weekly transportation to Kenora and/or Winnipeg, if required, may be available in IISD-ELA vehicles, but is contingent upon scheduling, availability of seating space and qualified drivers.
- To apply, click on the following link https://vacanciesincanada.ca/thinktankjobs
- If you wish to apply for this position, please specify in your cover letter that you saw it on vacanciesincanada.ca
Application deadline: Posted until filled
Rate of Pay: $42,400–$57,600, based on level of experience
IISD-ELA is committed to equal opportunity. Candidates must hold appropriate work authorization for Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only candidates advancing in the recruitment will be contacted for an interview. We kindly request that further contact not be necessary. Resumes will be kept on file for one year.
All submissions must be in English.
- Address 111 Lombard Avenue, Suite 325 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- Salary Offer $42,400–$57,600, based on level of experience $ $42,400–$57,600, based on level of experience Month