CANTO/PSP/VN/015 – Proposal Writer and Prospect Researcher Associate
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Application deadline: 16 September 2019
Type of contract: UNOPS / LICA6
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Expected start date: October 2019
- General Background
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 130 countries, protecting over 68 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we have been on the ground helping over 68 million people forced to leave their homes, and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We are passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You will be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who’s not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
- Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Proposal Writer and Prospect Researcher Associate will be an integral part of the Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) team and will be responsible for the following:
- Proposal Writing:
- Research and write creative and inspiring donor proposals that successfully achieve donor investment in UNHCR’s strategic priorities, specifically in the Major Gift’s area.
- Research and develop concept papers and pitch decks for the PPH Team.
- Review current grant proposals, edit and to make them fit for purpose for prospective donors.
- Prepare campaign correspondence for prospective major donors, including liaising with HQ PPH Global Team, to acquire and compile information suited for Canadian markets.
- Prepare campaign status reports – program and philanthropic progress, including overseeing the Stewardship process by scheduling and creation of comprehensive donor reports for all PSP donors (earmarked/un-earmarked) gifts.
- Liaise and work with Communications to ensure overall message alignment and facilitate creation of allied broader organizational communications messages.
- Prepare and track research reports to enable the PPH officers to effectively manage their portfolios; provide information for team members and donors to track progress against donor investment.
- Prospect Researching
- Conduct research to identify prospect donors that have a high propensity to support UNHCR.
- Work independently and pro-actively to identify and provide strategic advice on sources of major gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations for UNHCR fundraising programs and campaigns.
- Conduct biographical and financial research to create profiles using a variety of online, electronic and printed sources.
- Prepare, submit and manage online foundation proposals.
- Research and evaluate prospective new funders.
- Work with PPH HQ Global Team with preparing and submitting Due Diligence requests.
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Support the PPH team in all activities and in achieving the 2019 and long-term fundraising targets.
- Provide bi-weekly status report to direct manager.
- Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate from an accredited college or university
- Work Experience
- 6-10 years of experience in writing compelling fundraising proposals
- Demonstrated track record in writing proposal securing funding from private, major gifts and other funding sources
- Strong research skills to identify potential donors
- An aptitude for effective interviewing to secure meaningful information, analysing and interpreting data, and for synthesizing complex information from multiple sources
- Ability to interpret and analyse complex issues and representing such information in a clear and concise written manner for private sector audiences
- Advanced skills in using software and computer programs such as Windows, Microsoft Office and PowerPoint; experience with online research; ability to learn new programs as required
- Ability to adhere to tight deadlines and manage projects simultaneously with independence; ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality required
- Key Competencies
- An outstanding communicator with excellent writing skills, ability to conduct in-depth research and interviews, prepare and edit fundraising proposals while combining inputs from a variety of sources.
- Creative and innovative; able to identify and develop new opportunities and adapt to changing situations.
- Comfortable with a high level of independence and able to accomplish responsibilities with minimal supervision and function well as a team player.
- A skilled organizer with excellent interpersonal skills, time management abilities, strong attention to detail and able to multi-task.
- A curious and strategic individual who likes connecting the dots in a fast-paced environment.
Salary will be established UN Salary Scales for Montreal Canada, General service category. The range will be between CAD 52,662 – CAD 65,736 commensurate with experience level and education.
- 5 days annual leave per month
- 2 days certified sick leave per month
- Medical insurance
- To apply for this position, please fill in the UN Personal History/Supplementary forms, (found on our website https://www.unhcr.ca/careers/) and send those forms along with your application to [email protected] . Please indicate “CANTO/PSP/VN/015 Proposal Writer and Prospect Researcher Associate” in the subject line.
- Please also submit the Personal History/Supplementary forms with your application:
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both your e-mail and cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this posting.
The Applications/Forms must be submitted in English. Applications without UN Personal History forms will not be considered
Please note that the receipt of applications will not be acknowledged and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
WE REGRET WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS
- Address 200 René-Lévesque Blvd W, Montreal, QC H2Z 1X4 $ Month