Title: Associate Programme Specialist (API Management)
Domain: Data Analysis & Outreach
Position Number: 1CAUIS0026PA
Organizational Unit: UIS/DAO/DPI
Duty Station: Montreal
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Duration of contract: One year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Annual salary: Approx. USD 66 156
Deadline (midnight, Montreal time): 01 September 2019
Overview of the functions of the post **
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS), and the direct supervision of the Head of Unit, Dissemination Systems, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
1) Act as primary resource for:
a. API Management
i. Research, propose and implement API architecture solutions.
ii. Design, develop, test and deploy API infrastructure. Ideally using Azure based solution or similar.
iii. Manage API Gateway that ensures security policies, descriptions, usage limits, runtime capabilities and other relevant information is accessible.
iv. Monitor API usage, load, transaction logs, historical data and other analytic metrics to better understand the status as well as the success of UIS API products.
v. Recommend new API products and features.
vi. Execute performance tuning and optimization to ensure API user needs are supported.
b. Data Release Management
i. Oversee the Data Release process and ensure that the API accurately exposes UIS data.
ii. Communicate with API users to keep them up to date in regards to the UIS API in a timely fashion.
i. Perform coaching duties to both internal and external API users.
ii. Develop user stories and requirements that will lead to new products, new product features, or improve existing products.
3) Contribute to the evolution of the UIS open data offering, and how the UIS leverages it’s data assets. **
4) Contribute to the UIS’s digital strategy to increase the visibility and use of UIS API, open data among a wide range of audiences.
5) Perform any additional activities that may be required in support of the mandate of the UIS and to ensure the success of the work team.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Partnership building
- Client orientation
- Creativity and innovation
- Technological awareness
- Result Based Management and Result Based Budgeting
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development.
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in Computer Science, Data Management or a relevant discipline.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant professional experience in designing, developing and managing API focused initiatives in a data-centric domain.
- Experience delivering commercial quality solutions with cloud-based infrastructures (Azure, AWS, Google, etc.) is required.
- Relevant experience working with large and/or complex datasets.
Skills and competencies
- Familiarity with best practices for open data API’s.
- A strong understanding of development processes including familiarity with Agile Methodologies and user stories.
- Able to work collaboratively in a multicultural and dynamic team environment that includes technical counterparts, product managers and outside partners.
- Willing to be hands-on in research and developing innovative solutions to improve the organization’s data products.
- Strong competencies in attention to detail, problem solving, and time management.
- Strong communication skills with ability to articulate and optimize solution based on the value to the user and the business.
- Ability to assess the value add of an academically sound technical solution vs. a need to release commercial offerings in a timely fashion.
- Excellent knowledge in English (written and spoken)
- Software development experience, preferably in a non-profit, NGO or UN environment.
- Experience with WordPress
- Understanding of service oriented architectures, architecting for the web, or designing solutions for the cloud.
- A solid understanding of data driven products such as visualizations. Experience working in team environments that utilize version control systems and processes is an asset/advantage.
Good knowledge of French and/or another UNESCO language Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
- To apply, please send your application letter, UNESCO CV (CV Form to be used) and a list of 3 references (name, title, organization, address, telephone, email, including at least one current or former direct supervisor), by email: [email protected] , mentioning FAMILY NAME PA26 DAO (e.g. SMITH PA26 DAO).
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both your e-mail and motivation letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this posting.
Application files will have to reach UNESCO Headquarters before 01 September 2019 midnight (Montreal time)
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates.
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, as well as exchange rates. Other benefits include 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. More details can be found on the ICSC Website.
Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.
- Address 5255 Decelles Ave 7th floor, Montreal, QC
- Salary Offer USD 66 156 $ USD 66 156 Month