Internal / External Vacancy Notice
CANTO/PSP/VN/014 – Donor Retention Associate
|Location:||PSP Toronto, Canada|
|Application deadline:||28 August 2019|
|Type of contract:||UNOPS|
|Contract Level||LOCAL Support ICA, LICA 6|
|Expected start date:||September 2019|
1. General Background
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 126 countries, protecting over 68 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we’ve been on the ground helping over 50 million people forced to leave their homes, and have received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We are passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You will be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who is not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
UNHCR Canada’s individual giving program has grown significantly in the last few years, going from $1.8M in 2013 to $8.6M in 2018. Much of this growth has been driven by investment in donor retention, through the development of effective direct response campaigns, stewardship activities and an effective donor service function. In 2019, we will invest $1.1M in donor retention in order to raise $8.4 M from 23,000 single gift donors and 14,000 monthly donors.
The Donor Retention Associate will be have primary responsibility for devising, developing and implementing donor journeys for our donors including renewals, special appeals, reactivation, upgrade, donor service and stewardship across mail, digital, phone and other channels – in order to maximize life time value. These are for donors within the individual giving portfolio, giving gifts of less $10,000. Donors are both English and French speaking and span across Canada.
Gifts are solicited through a variety of channels including mail, digital and telemarketing. The Donor Retention Associate will conceive of the donor development portfolio with a mind-set towards integration and in this respect, use our various fundraising channels to reinforce one another for the most efficient possible fundraising. They will execute all donor development campaigns, overseeing every detail including planning, content development, production and reporting, working in conjunction with our agencies. They are encouraged to be highly innovative and be willing to test new methods of solicitation and communication in order to improve results.
The Donor Retention Associate will directly manage two Development Assistants, who take primary responsibility for donor service and assist with execution, reporting and vendor management on all channels.
The Donor Retention Associate will be highly budget conscious and ensure that every dollar spent is spent with an eye to our long term donor development goals. They will help conceive of the overall strategy and assist in making compelling cases to headquarters for ongoing investment in Canada’s retention program.
They will generate both monthly and one-time donations from existing donors with a focus on upgrading donors and moving them to deeper engagement in the organization in the form of advocacy, larger gifts, bequests, corporate involvement and beyond.
The Donor Retention Associate will work closely and collaboratively with peers overseeing communications, acquisition and major giving portfolios to ensure new donors acquired are taken on an appropriate journey, related to their acquisition source that will lead to best possible LTV and existing donor have multiple opportunities to engage with UNHCR. They will work with the Senior Database Associate to pull and manage donor data.
The Donor Retention Associate will occasionally need to travel, for skill-shares and other meetings domestically and internationally and may represent UNHCR Canada at planning meetings globally.
- Monitoring and Progress Controls:
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
Performance will be assessed on the following KPIs against target, which are set by channel during the annual planning process and adjusted mid-year:
- Donor Lifetime Value (LTV)
- Retention Rate
- Direct mail, telemarketing and digital response rate, average gift and net income
- Donor upgrade rate
- Conversion % of one time gift donors to monthly
In addition, general competencies will be assessed including teamwork, planning and organization, commitment to learning, accountability, planning and problem solving.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results) Specific areas of responsibility include:
Key Responsibility Activities
|Develop strategy for donor development||•
|Develop and implement the long and short term strategy to maximise donor development from existing and lapsed supporters|
|Development and implementation of the Individual Giving emergency fundraising strategy for donor development|
|Utilize industry benchmarking tools e.g. Blackbaud donor Centrics benchmarking report to support strategy and goals|
|Manage and execute all donor development
|•||Leverage additional business intelligence tools to assess donor behaviour on the file and inform future strategy|
|Manage all donor development channels including mail, digital and telemarketing, in conjunction with vendors. This includes :
o Campaign and channel planning o Media research, selection and buying
o Oversee content development, including mail production, digital banner ads, video, handouts, website assets, lead forms
o Data segmentation and targeting
o Recording of information about gifts in CRM in timely and accurate manner
o Campaign performance reporting and analysis
|•||Ensure clarity and integration of messaging across campaigns and adherence to the overall strategy|
|•||Ensure all content developed adheres to UNHCR brand and key messages|
|Manage donor development budget and monitor all associated
|•||Identify and implement research, development and testing of new ways to acquire donors|
|Manage and control donor development budget
Supply campaign reports on donor development activities and progress on objectives to supervisor
|Utilizing UNCHR Canada Business intelligence tools including LTV analysis, monitor core KPIs for channels and campaigns including
§ Donor Lifetime Value (LTV)
§ Retention Rate
§ Direct mail, telemarketing and digital response rate, average gift and net income
§ Donor upgrade rate
§ Conversion % of one time gift donors to monthly
§ Donor Satisfaction (Net Promoter Score)
|•||Participate in procurement of vendors, manage contracts and all associated invoicing|
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
This position is responsible for the management of all donor development activities to ensure we execute on time and on budget. The position directly manages two Development Assistants.
- Qualifications & Experience
- University degree in communication, marketing, management, political science, international development or other related discipline
b. Work Experience
- Minimum 6 years of working in a fundraising/marketing environment, using direct marketing techniques
- Strong experience of working in cross-functional teams in a collaborative manner
- Significant experience of managing agencies and vendors
- Significant experience of managing budgets
- Experience managing a team
- Experience in international development sector, in particularly working on emergency situations
- Significant experience with Digital, Mail and Telemarketing for the purposes of direct response fundraising including developing strategy and tactical execution
- Experience with testing and launching new channels
- Experience fundraising in Canada and specifically in the Quebec market
- Comfortable with creating data selections and analysis including using LTV analysis, benchmarking tools and forecasting models
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, Engaging Networks or similar tools Key Competencies
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Acute attention to detail
- Understanding of brand and key message adherence
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work confidently under pressure to deadlines.
- Strong customer service approach
- Maintains a positive attitude
- Ability to work with confidential information with discretion
- Excellent English language skills (written, oral and comprehension)
- French is an asset
- Commitment to inclusion and diversity in all interactions with staff, volunteers, and audiences, including full participation in programs and decision-making
Salary will be established UN Salary Scales for Toronto, Canada, general service category. The range will be between $61,118 – $76,131, commensurate with experience level and education.
- 5 days annual leave per month
- 2 days certified sick leave per month
- Medical insurance
- To apply for this position, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to both emails [email protected] AND [email protected] with “CANTO/PSP/VN/014– Donor Retention Associate” in the subject line.
- Please also submit the Personal History/Supplementary forms with your application:UNHCR Personal History Form & UNHCR Personal History Form Supplementary
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify in both your email and cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you discovered this posting.
Please note that the receipt of applications will not be acknowledged and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
WE REGRET WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS
- vacanciesincanada.ca will appreciate it if you can SHARE this job announcement on social media as we provide our services for FREE for both job seekers and job providers.
- Address 280 Albert St #401, Ottawa ON Canada
- Salary Offer $61,118 - $76,131 $ $61,118 - $76,131 Month