130 active jobs
The Cook prepares and serves nutritious meals and snacks in accordance with applicable food service and safety regulations.
- Prepare an ongoing list of food supplies needed according to menus; prepare food orders as needed, for purchasing.
- Receive, check and store food supplies when delivered.
- Plan, prepare and distribute, nutritious meals, snacks according to the prepared menu plans and in accordance with applicable food service and Canada’s Food Guide.
- Ensure any deviations to the menu is recorded.
- Make use of and decides on the best use of resources to minimize waste.
- Arrange and prepare for any special dietary needs of children.
- Ensure proper daily temperatures are recorded for the dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer, and food temperatures and they are up to date for inspection.
- Estimate food requirements, monitor and order food supplies; maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment.
- Report any identified needs to Program Director or Property Manager.
- Document and record menus deviations in compliance with annual licensing requirements.
- Health & Safety
- Ensure proper temperature checks are taken and recorded throughout the preparation of food.
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas; cleanliness of all equipment, food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, dishes, utensils, drawers, and cupboards.
- Ensure that Ministry of Health and Fire regulations are adhered to in the kitchen and food storage areas.
- Ensure kitchen environment is clear of any rodent/pest infestation; document and report to Program or Property manager any observances.
Perform other position related duties as required.
- This is a permanent full-time position based 35 hours per week.
- Flexibility in scheduling is required to meet program requirements; schedule includes days and will include a ½ hour paid meal break.
- The Program Director will set the hours of work and work schedule.
- Ability to lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently: repetitive tasks, heavy lifting, twisting, bending, crouching, reaching, pushing and pulling.
- Long periods of standing, walking; carrying; sitting; twisting; climbing and stooping; kneeling or crouching.
Normal hours of work: work schedule will be set by your Program Director as per Centre hours of operation, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and include a 1/2 hour paid meal break where applicable.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed Secondary School, plus specialized courses of up to six (6) months
- Cook’s papers (1-year course)
- Current First Aid & CPR Certification, Level C
- Current Safe Food Handling Certification
- Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the national Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment
- May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum of two (2) years of prior work experience, with at least one year of institutional cooking experience is required
Skills and Capabilities:
- Treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution .
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and exercise good judgement.
- Ability to work independently and participate as an active and responsible team member in a cooperative team environment.
- Must have physical, mental and emotional stamina to endure fast-paced conditions.
- Participate in mandatory orientation training, on-going professional development and training.
- Participate in regular supervision and performance appraisal process.
- Ensure that all certifications are maintained as required.
- Represent the organization in a positive, professional and engaging manner.
- Must comply with all Salvation Army policies, procedures and associated legislation.
- Exhibit good listening skills, have strong oral/written communication skills and respect authority.
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, integrity, and adaptability.
- Attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Lead by example, by demonstrating a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn and be flexible in the face of change.
- Fluent French verbal and written communication skills are an asset.
- Develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
Normal location of work: 1340 Dundas Street, London ON N5W 3B6
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.