108 active jobs
The Brantford Booth Centre is a 50 bed emergency men’s hostel and Correctional Residence Facility, offering room and board to men who requires transitional housing and federal release programs. It is a 24-hour operation.
- Maintain an active caseload.
- Complete an intake and assessment on each resident.
- Provide problem solving/referral counselling to shelter and CRF Clients.
- Develop a network and make referrals to existing services and resources in the community including those of other Salvation Army departments.
- Design and implement, in consultation with supervisor, an interview schedule that will provide an evaluation of ‘quality of life’ improvement of successful program participants.
- Provide assistance to front desk personnel as necessary, including responding to client issues and crises.
- Record activities and incidents occurring during the shift in a factual and concise manner using Logbook and/or Incident Occurrence Reports.
- Contact emergency service personnel (ambulance or police) when necessary.
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to clients/staff and Centre’s records.
- Work closely with and carry out tasks assigned to you by your supervisor.
Perform other duties as required.
This is a casual position with no guaranteed hours. Flexibility in scheduling is required. The work schedule is determined in consultation with your supervisor and may vary according to requirements of responsibility. Applicable shifts include a ½ hour unpaid meal break.
- May work with potentially aggressive clients.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- University/College diploma in Social Service and/or a combination of education and related life experience.
- Possess current WHMIS, First Aid, CPR, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certificates.
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Competent on word processing equipment, such as Windows XP, Microsoft Office, Excel.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Community-based resources.
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES:
- Must be in agreement and comply with the Mission Statement of The Salvation Army Booth Centre, Brantford.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and effective interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with socially disadvantaged people who may often harbour resentment and anger.
- Ability to work with federal release clients to develop and carry out a life plan.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and implement goals and plans for self and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and under supervision.
- Ability to undergo applicable screening and background checks successfully that are satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion (i.e., The Salvation Army Abuse Registry) and provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening.
- Ability and willingness to develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
Please include the Job Title and Ministry Unit in the email subject line.
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.