119 active jobs
Broadview Village has 40+ years of providing outstanding support to adults with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges. We are currently hiring a Full- Time Maintenance Worker. This position reports to the Director of Operation and is currently assigned to work in the East York (Broadview Avenue & O’Connor Drive) area. This is a full-time position that works 40 hours per week currently scheduled to work a combination of weekdays and weekends rotating as applicable, flexible to meet program needs.
- Monitor and carry out general maintenance of vehicles. Report any problems to supervisor.
- Meet with supervisor daily to discuss any priorities and maintenance concerns
- Complete general plumbing repairs as needed or requested. Report any other plumbing concerns to supervisor
- Complete any repairs to electrical fixtures within scope of experience and knowledge. Report any other electrical problems to supervisor.
- Clean all exterior windows, eaves troughs, drains and spouts
- Complete all minor carpentry, plastering, painting, glass/screen replacement and general repair
- Identify materials required for repair/maintenance and submit to supervisor
- Assist in the moving of furniture, appliance and household supplies as required
- Maintenance of grounds as needed or requested
- Inform supervisor of any maintenance requirements which require the use of outside service providers. This includes, but is not limited to plumbing, electrical and vehicles.
- Comply with the provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and regulations
- Adhere to agency’s Health & Safety Policies and program
- Complete daily walkthroughs/inspections of site as assigned
- Report accidents/injuries/workplace hazards in a timely manner
- Responsible use of agency’s vehicles, equipment and property
- Follow the principles of nonviolent crisis intervention philosophy
The performance of the job requires operating equipment and tools, painting/plastering, bending/twisting/lifting, and occasional ladder work and fine motor skills (when working with small pieces of equipment in confined areas). The successful candidate is required to lift more than 20 pounds and carry out work throughout a specific portfolio of buildings and group homes, and external grounds
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed High School
- Valid First Aid Certificate, including CPR
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
- General knowledge of repair and maintenance
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES
- An appreciation, sensitivity and respect for community living of persons with developmental disabilities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- General Computer skills – Microsoft office
- Valid driver’s license an asset and clean driver’s abstract required
- Ability to undergo applicable screening and background checks successfully that are satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion (i.e., The Salvation Army Abuse Registry) and provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening completed no less than 2 months prior to date of hire
- Ability and willingness to develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities
HOURS: 40 hours per week currently scheduled to work a combination of weekdays and weekends rotating as applicable, flexible to meet program needs
This is a Bargaining Unit position represented by OPSEU Local 550
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.