119 active jobs
Broadview Village has 40+ years of providing outstanding support to adults with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges. Broadview Village residences provide around-the-clock support to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health challenges and we are currently hiring a Full Time Residential Counsellor. This position reports to the Residential Manager and is currently assigned to work in the Scarborough (Birchmount Road & Finch Avenue) area. This position is full-time and works 40 hours per week, currently scheduled Sunday to Thursday 3:00 pm 11:00 pm flexible to meet program needs. Location and scheduling assignments may change based on organizational and programmatic needs.
This position requires someone who has a passion for and takes initiative in the creation and implementation of programming in areas such as: personal care & hygiene, advocacy, and community integration. The capacity to work collaboratively within a team is required, as well as with a large number of stakeholders including: healthcare professionals, consultants, colleagues, community members, family members and friends. This position also requires a resilient direct support professional who is confident in navigating conflict, overcoming obstacles, and who is creative in providing support to individuals in crisis.
The Residential Counsellor must ensure that their activities are in compliance with established legislation, and policies and procedures including: Employment Standards; Occupational Health & Safety Standards; Collective Agreements; Payroll Procedures; Salvation Army Accreditation; and Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008 (SIPDDA).
- Providing support for residents’ personal development as decided through individual support planning (ISP) as well as advocating on their behalf/facilitating self-advocacy to community supports in collaboration with colleagues and other healthcare professionals
- Completing documentation and maintaining records as required
- Medication administration
- Ensuring learning opportunities are provided utilizing agency and community resources
- Fostering independence in residents including supervising and assisting residents with meal preparation and clean-up
- Maintaining cleanliness of program/site, ensuring health and safety protocols are closely followed
- Providing orientation and/or support to co-workers, students, volunteers and/or family members
- Following and promoting the agency’s and House program goal and philosophy
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed Developmental Services Worker Diploma or other degree/diploma related to human services is preferred
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR, Level C
- Ability to achieve Nonviolent Crisis Intervention certificate upon hire
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Minimum 6-12 months’ experience working with people with developmental disabilities and preferably working with individuals who have a dual diagnosis of mental health challenges and developmental
- Experience with implementing Individual Support Plans
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES
- Strong counselling/de-escalation support required
- Medication administration experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license an asset and clean driver’s abstract required
- Ability to undergo applicable screening and background checks successfully that are satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion (i.e., The Salvation Army Abuse Registry) and provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening completed no less than 2 months prior to date of hire
- Ability and willingness to develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities
HOURS: 40 hours per week currently scheduled Sunday to Thursday 3:00pm 11:00pm, flexible to meet program needs.
This is a Bargaining Unit position represented by OPSEU Local 550
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.