This is a temporary full-time position based on 32 to 40 hours per week. Shifts will vary but will include days, afternoons and evenings, Monday to Saturday. Includes a ½ hour paid meal-break where applicable. Flexibility is required as it relates to hours of work and scheduling. The Supervisor will set the hours of work and work schedule. Ability to lift/move up to 40 lbs. (18.144 kgs). Some travel is associated with this position.
Normal hours of work: Shifts will include days, afternoons and evenings, Monday through Saturday.
Start Date: November 1, 2021
End Date: December 24, 2021
Interested applicants must respond in writing with a cover letter and resume.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
- Client Services and Programs
- Conduct initial intake assessment to determine immediate needs and supports needed by the client.
- Provide emergency assistance services, i.e. food, clothing, household needs in accordance with policy
- Organize, plan and deliver seasonal and special programs as required, i.e. Christmas Hamper, Food Drive program etc.; ensure that ministry objectives are accomplished and that a spiritual focus is applied to all programs.
- Oversee the activities of the Food Bank, organize, ensure that the food bank is tidy and clean, ensure sufficient stock, sort and process donated goods, process clients through the food bank.
- Network and refer to The Salvation Army, government, and community social service providers to coordinate resources for the benefit of clients and program when necessary.
- Pickup bread from local grocery stores as needed.
- May develop and conduct workshops for families/clients as appropriate.
- Recruit, support, assist, demonstrate work methods, supervise, train and schedule volunteers, demonstrate work methods and ensure they work together to achieve the purpose of the organization and enhance the ministries of The Salvation Army.
- In consultation with the Corps Officer organize regular meetings with volunteers.
- Finance and Administration
- Ensure that Ministry Unit policies and procedures are followed for the safe/secure handling of all monetary donations received and appropriate documentation of gift cards and various vouchers is maintained, i.e. clothing vouchers.
- Maintain accurate records of client information on The Salvation Army’s computer system while maintaining confidentiality and providing statistical reports.
- Health and Safety
- Ensure that the Food Bank and area is maintained regarding appearance, condition and safety as recommended by Public Health etc.
- Seek out continual education and resources for all areas of responsibilities, specifically regarding COVID-19 requirements as per the local Health Unit.
- Ensure the safety and comfort of the ministry unit by maintaining cleanliness and food safety etc.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Completion of a Community College Diploma, Social Service Worker, counselling or equivalent in a related field of study.
- First Aid & CPR Certification and Safe Food Handlers Certification.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License, own vehicle and insurance, provide an original copy of current driver’s abstract that it satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required.
- Provide an original copy of a Background Check that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the national Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
- Screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- Minimum of two (2) years of prior related experience working with multi-barriered persons, individuals with mental health issues and a variety of social service programs.
- Minimum of one (1) year of prior related supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of community-based resources and experience networking with government and social service agencies.
- Proficient in working in a computerized environment; must demonstrate strong skills using Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work with little supervision but also able to accept direction when necessary.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy work environment.
- Lead by example, by demonstrating a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn and be flexible in the face of change.
- Ability to maintain information in confidence and exercise good judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and participate as an active and responsible team member in a cooperative team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, integrity, and adaptability.
- Exhibit good listening skills, have strong oral/written communication skills and respect authority.
- Participate in mandatory orientation training and regular supervision.
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures.
- Represent the organization in a positive, professional and engaging manner.
- Must comply with all Salvation Army policies, procedures and associated legislation.
- Treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution.
- Develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.