This is a casual position with no guarantee of hours. Although there are no weekly hours of work guaranteed for this position, there is the potential of working up to 24 hours per week during the current pandemic. Flexibility in scheduling is required. The work schedule is determined in consultation with your supervisor and may vary according to requirements of responsibility. The operational hours of this facility are 24 hours per day.
This is a unionized facility.
Interested applicants must respond in writing with a cover letter and resume.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
- Plans, schedules, implements, promotes and evaluates monthly and annual activities and events, which are in keeping with the interest and capabilities of all Residents.
- Record information about Residents on relevant forms and maintain daily documentation concerning the Resident’s participation and abilities in activities.
- Participate and/or chair meetings as assigned or required.
- Maintain close liaison with departments, volunteers, families, Residents and community groups.
- Perform errands outside Home.
- Responsible for development and revision of program plans as required.
- Encourages and motivates Residents to participate in activities, ensuring accessibility (prompting, reminding or portering).
- Prepares supplies and equipment necessary for program delivery.
- Ongoing education and upgrading/training may be required to perform therapy as prescribed by the Physio and/or occupational therapists.
- Performs A.D.L. (Activities of Daily Living) duties such as hygiene, toileting and feeding as necessary on outings.
- Carries out duties consistent with the Policy and Procedures of the Salvation Army Eventide Home and the respective Activity Department.
- Performs clerical functions specific to the department.
- Perform other position related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum college diploma in Recreation with emphasis on gerontological and therapeutic studies.
- Two (2) years Volunteer or 1 year work experience in similar setting.
- Basic knowledge of human physiology
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills, including MS Office, ActivityPro, Point Click Care (PCC)
- Ability to push 250+lbs with assistive device, such as resident in wheelchair
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs occasionally, frequent walking, bending, crouching, and stretching, such as demonstrating activities and exercises
- Must have considerable patience and understanding with seniors as well as with families and residents who are cognitively impaired
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and disciplined
- Experience/Working knowledge in word processing; spread sheet use
- Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening
- Screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
- Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
- TB test is required
Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.