University of Alberta
Alberta School of Business, Department of Marketing, Business Economics, and Law
Academic Teaching Staff Position
Competition No. – A103044704
Closing Date – Will remain open until filled.
The Department of Marketing, Business Economics, and Law (MBEL) is accepting applications for a full-time Academic Teaching Staff position for a 2-year term appointment beginning July 1, 2021.
Reporting to the Department Chair, the position will include the following responsibilities:
- Teach a diverse set of Business Economics courses (8 sections) to undergraduate and graduate students, including introductory and elective course in Managerial Economics, International Business (International Trade and Finance), Energy Economics, Environmental Economics, Real Estate, Government and Business in Canada, Data Analytics (Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence) in Business Economics, and Strategic Procurement.
- Prepare course syllabi, course materials, assignments, exams, and assign grades.
- Evaluate student performance progress and provide appropriate and timely feedback according to department protocols.
- Participating in School of Business or University governance by taking on internal service roles.
- Teach various lab sessions in addition to the courses taught, to provide students with hands-on experience with computing and analysis.
- Remain abreast of relevant literature in business economics and analytics as it applies to teaching.
- Participate in department activities, including advising student clubs and coaching students for case competitions.
- Develop curriculum and materials for new courses.
- Participate in activities that contribute to teaching and learning, and enhancing the student experience.
- A graduate degree (master’s or PhD) in a discipline that is relevant to Business Economics, preferably a degree in Economics with specialization/teaching experience in multiple of the following fields: Applied Microeconomics, Applied Econometrics, International Economics, Energy Economics, Environmental Economics, Urban Economics.
- Demonstrated teaching excellence at the post-secondary level.
- Relevant industry experience will be considered an asset.
- Experience supervising undergraduate and graduate students will be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Facilitation, negotiation and problem-solving skills and an ability to handle challenging student situations.
- Technically proficient in the computer environment and a working knowledge of various applications (such as R, Python, Mathematica).
The Alberta School of Business is one of the world’s leading institutions of business education and research. Since 1916, the innovative ideas, entrepreneurial spirit and leadership of the School’s more than 31,000 alumni have strengthened businesses and communities worldwide. Our vision is simple, yet powerful: To develop and inspire entrepreneurial leaders from Alberta for the World. For more information about the School, please visit our website https://www.ualberta.ca/business/index.html. For more information about the Department of Marketing, Business Economics, and Law, please see: https://www.ualberta.ca/marketing-business-economics-law/index.html
Applications should include a curriculum vitae outlining teaching and administrative experience, any available teaching ratings, and the names of three referees who have been asked to send confidential letters of assessment.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience in accordance with the Academic Teaching Staff Agreement.
To assist the University in complying with mandatory reporting requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (R203(3) (e)), please include the first digit of your Canadian Social Insurance Number in your application. If you do not have a Canadian Social Insurance Number, please indicate this in your application.
Please send applications through e-mail (PDF files) to:
Dr. Emilson Silva, Chair
Department of Marketing, Business Economics, and Law
Alberta School of Business, University of Alberta
Interested applicants may apply to: https://apptrkr.com/2180808
E-mail : [email protected]
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.