Assist other members of the program team to provide nurturing care and education to young children in a group setting, under the supervision of the Assistant Program Director; in accordance with the goals and curriculum plans, philosophy, and policies of the London Village and in compliance with the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014.
- Provide input into planning and assist with the implementation of appropriate aged-based activities according to skill and learning levels that promote social interaction and personal development
- Provide feedback on child’s development.
- Assist with effective risk management; monitoring food safety, medication storage/disbursement, allergies, and facility cleanliness/maintenance; provides emergency first aid and completes reports and file incident reports as required.
- Role model appropriate behaviors and attitudes.
- Ensure full compliance with child protection legislation and intervene when necessary.
- Report any identified needs to team members, Child Care Program Director or designate.
- Report any property damage, mechanical breakdown of equipment and/or repairs needed in the program.
Perform other position related duties as required.
Critical Relationship Management:
- Internal relationships:
- Corps Officer, supervisor, volunteers, staff
- External relationships:
MANAGERIAL/Technical Leadership RESPONSIBILITY:
- This position reports directly to the Child Care Centre Assistant Program Director or designate.
- Uphold all Salvation Army policies, directives, and operating guidelines as contained in the Policy Manual of The Salvation Army London Village.
- Work within the legal standards of the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 and the Middlesex London Health Regulations.
- Participate in participant specific and/or program specific training as required.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and training.
- Attend/participate in staff meetings as required.
- This is a casual relief “elect to work” position with no standard weekly hours of work.
- There are no guaranteed hours; work will be offered as per the hours of operation Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Includes a ½ hour paid meal-break where applicable.
- Assistant Program Director or designate will set the hours of work and work schedule.
- The performance of the job requires frequently lifting/moving equipment and children, room set-up, occasionally intervening in physical confrontations, story telling, cleaning (of the facility/equipment), and putting up wall
- Ability to lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently: repetitive tasks, heavy lifting, twisting, bending, crouching, reaching, pushing and pulling.
- Long periods of standing, walking; carrying; sitting; twisting; climbing and stooping; kneeling or crouching.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Completed Secondary School.
- Early Childhood Education Diploma, preferred
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum of six (6) months of prior work experience working with children (including special populations) and previous day camp experience will be recognized as an asset.
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR Certification
- Current Safe Food Handling Certification
- Required to have a health assessment and immunization
- COVID-19 Vaccination, proof required
Skills and Capabilities:
- Treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and exercise good judgement.
- Ability to work independently and participate as an active and responsible team member in a cooperative team environment.
- Must have physical, mental and emotional stamina to endure fast pace conditions.
- Participate in mandatory orientation training, on-going professional development and training.
- Participate in regular supervision and performance appraisal process.
- Ensure that all certifications are maintained as required.
- Represent the organization in a positive, professional and engaging manner.
- Must comply with all Salvation Army policies, procedures and associated legislation.
- Exhibit good listening skills, have strong oral/written communication skills.
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, integrity, and adaptability.
- Attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Lead by example, by demonstrating a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn and be flexible in the face of change.
- Fluent French verbal and written communication skills are an asset.
- Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the national Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment
- May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
- Develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.