The Janitor is responsible for performing janitorial duties which ensure The Salvation Army London Village Adult Day Program is maintained in a healthy, safe, and sanitary manner in compliance with applicable standards.
- Ensure groceries and supplies are rotated according to expiry date; pantries well organized & grocery list updated accordingly.
- Ensure that client belongings are stored and catalogued in accordance with procedures.
- Responsible for any combination of light cleaning duties to maintain defined work areas in the ministry unit and complete all cleaning requirements according to the established checklists with the program which include: clean program areas, washrooms (toilets, sinks, countertops, floors, shower, bathtub, fixtures) & foot care areas, wipe down all tables, chairs and door handles and ensure kitchen cleanliness at all times.
- Inspect, clean, dust, move, and arrange furniture as required.
- Vacuum all carpeted areas, sweep & mop all tiled areas and baseboards, clean all glass areas; windows and ledges etc. using a ladder where/when needed, dust all offices and furnishings.
- Spot wash accessible walls, strip and wax floors, spot cleaning, and shampoo carpets as required.
- Check doors and windows to ensure building security.
- Maintain the security of property at all times.
- Complete inventory counts, restock supplies, and request supplies following established ordering processes.
- Empty all garbage receptacles, take garbage, and recycling out to designated area each shift
- Perform minor repairs such as electrical (change light bulbs) and plumbing (unblocking toilets, troubleshooting flushing issues). Report any damage to property or equipment in a prompt manner to the Program Supervisor or designate.
- Monitor and maintain mixed cleaner bottles for custodial use. Ensure that all bottles contain WHMIS compliant labeling.
- The incumbent is responsible for his/her own time and effort only. The incumbent may demonstrate work methods to new employees.
- Other duties as requested by the Director and/or Supervisor.
- The incumbent’s work environment is typically in the property designated.
- The performance of the job requires operating industrial cleaning equipment and tools, mopping/sweeping, bending/twisting/lifting, occasional ladder work and fine motor skills.
- The incumbent is required to have the ability lift/move up to 50 pounds.
- The performance of the job requires moderate to high attention when handling hazardous chemicals and using non-motorized/general cleaning equipment.
- Work schedule will be set by your Supervisor.
- This is a permanent part-time position based on 10 hours per week. Monday to Friday, two hours per shift. Start time is flexible 5:00 p.m./5:30 p.m.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- The successful job applicant will have completed High School.
- Professional level of cleaning methods and procedures.
- Must have valid WHMIS training.
- Provide an original copy of a Background Check that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the national Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
- Screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
- A minimum of three (3) months prior related experience, including general familiarity with cleaning and maintenance procedures.
- Demonstrate janitorial, housekeeping and maintenance skills at a professional level.
- Respect and understanding of The Salvation Army – its mission, culture, and values
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES:
- Adhere to standards that are consistent with the values & philosophy of The Salvation Army and London Village.
- Read and follow the Employee Handbook.
- As required and as applicable, make suggestions that will improve efficiency, working conditions or procedures to Management.
- Participate in regular direct supervision with immediate supervisor and comply by attending to noted areas needing improvement to ensure maximum job performance.
- Participate in yearly formal evaluation.
- Represent The Salvation Army London Village in a professional manner at all times.
- Be punctual and work all hours scheduled, advising the Program Supervisor or designate anytime this is not possible following protocol.
- Participate in staff development as required.
- Work as an effective member of the London Village team, whether staff members or volunteers.
- Work within agency fire safety, health & safety and emergency procedures.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate your email/cover letter where (vacanciesincanada.ca) you saw this job posting.